Content Designer (12 Month Contract)
About Content Design at RBC
We are our industry's leader in exceptional digital experiences. To get there, we're putting strategy, research, design principles, and technical innovation at the centre of everything we do.
But we need exceptional digital professionals to bring our process to life. Maybe you're that sort of person.
As a member of our team, you'll work with a close-knit and collaborative group of designers, researchers, and strategists, moving easily between big ideas and the little details that make them real.
You'll find yourself in a culture where designers feel included, valued, and heard; in a supportive environment surrounded by peers who exceed in their area of expertise. What's a Content Designer do?
We want every point of contact with our RBC clients to feel important to them. That's where you come in.
Content designers shape the conversations we conduct through each of our digital products. You make sure that each conversation helps our clients to get what they need from us. You shape their experience of RBC to fit their world, rather than explaining how they need to conform to ours.
To do that, you need to think strategically about the creation and delivery of our content: what we say, how we say it, and where we deliver each piece of that message. You'll collaborate with colleagues in other disciplines to define the core value of the digital products we design and build. You'll make sure that every experience - from the overtly promotional to the purely transactional - embodies its core value as our clients move through and engage with it. In short: you'll use content to connect what our digital products can do with what truly matters to our clients. What you would work on Content Strategy
- Create strategies for using content to support our clients' needs for information and understanding in the digital products we design.
- Facilitate collaborative design activities and ideation sessions and collaborative work activities.
- Lead Content Design work or group design activities.
- Present Content Design work to senior stakeholders.
- Articulate the rationale behind a content strategy and provides design advice or guidance to other product team members.
- Act as a Content Design subject matter expert for the product team.
- Provide practical direction to the larger design team on RBC's Content Design communications standards, tools, channels and processes.
- Build relationships with stakeholders and across teams.
- Act as an advocate for our clients, representing their needs and interests in discussions about the role of content in the products we design and how that role may affect other aspects of a product's design.
- Accurately estimate activities and timing and contribute to planning.
Research and Testing
- Create client-focused textual content ensuring that it supports RBC's design principles and the team's design and product strategies, including labels, explanatory text, hidden or alternative text, metadata, and support content internal to a digital product, as well as external (go-to-market) content.
- Partner with peers to shape or develop other (non-textual) content: iconography, information graphics, imagery, and data.
- Apply the principles of Inclusive Design in content design and creation.
- Guide the team in maintaining a clear hierarchy of information through a consistent application of HTML headings.
- Guide the team toward a methodical application of metadata and hidden text to support the assistive technologies some clients may use to engage with our products.
- Present work, and facilitate design critiques, and provide expertise to cross functional teams.
- Collaborate with Legal, Compliance, and Regulatory teams to ensure that our digital conversations satisfy our legal and regulatory responsibilities.
- Manage the documentation and sharing of content throughout its lifecycle.
What you need to succeed
- Work with a designated Design Researcher to facilitate team agreement on the questions it needs to answer through its Research and Testing activities.
- Facilitate the creation of initial test scripts that represent the team's consolidated testing objectives.
- Contribute to the creation of artifacts for testing.
- Partner with the team's designated Testing and/or Design Lead to initiate tests of the effectiveness of specific content strategies and specific content executions.
- Research content and messaging strategies in the competitive landscape and perform competitive audits pertinent to specific design or business goals.
- Perform content audits where appropriate.
Nice to have
- A post-secondary education, ideally with a university degree or college diploma
- At least 4 years of writing experience at a creative agency or in-house creative team
- Experience writing for a variety of digital platforms, from practical software tools to promotional media
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to think critically about the challenge at hand
- An eagerness to collaborate with colleagues, both from other disciplines and your own
- A willingness to challenge the opinions of the group with respect and the comfort to receive those same challenges from others
- Proficiency in English
- A portfolio of work samples showcasing your copywriting work
- Facility in French
- A working knowledge of accessibility standards and methods to address them
- A knowledge of design and technology trends