Application Security Architect
Creates a visionary architecture roadmap and organizational strategy to align Business and IT. Leads and facilitates the design and implementation of repeatable technical solutions and processes related to technology architecture. Defines and documents efficient and transparent architecture principles, standards and guidelines regarding the proper use and deployment of business applications, data and technology within the Bank. Partners with broader stakeholders in technology and business in defining architecture possibilities and futures. Works with Business and development teams in recommending process or system design and enhancements. Ensures that systems are functionally appropriate, technically sound and well-integrated. Provides immediate response to critical production program-wide problems to evaluate solutions, coordinate recovery and ensure resolution.
- Works with managers and senior individual contributors (within group) to provide architectural recommendations & guidance as well as executive-level presentations at the enterprise level.
Provides input into the preparation of business cases.
- Provides architectural expertise & domain knowledge to advise & guide senior leaders.
- Participates in architecture governance (may be as a non-voting member).
- Participates in setting technical direction of the styles of computing.
- Acts as a subject matter expert on relevant regulations and policies.
- Helps determine business priorities and best sequence for execution of business/group strategy.
- Assists in the development of Information Security Roadmaps.
- Acts as the prime subject matter expert for internal/external stakeholders.
- Develops a deep understanding of organizational complexity to build strong rapport with the appropriate matrix areas for the construction and delivery of the solution.
- Leverages metrics and analytics to gain insight for planning, design and management to facilitate the identification of improvement opportunities.
- Prepares system security reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data and trends.
- Breaks down strategic problems, and analyses data and information to provide insights and recommendations.
- Identifies opportunities to strengthen the capability of the technology organization at BMO, such as: sharing architectural expertise to promote technical development, mentoring employees, building communities of practice and networks across technology.
- Stays abreast of industry technical and business trends through participation in professional associations, practice communities & individual learning.
- Creates and manages the various architecture assets for the designated portfolio and scope. Includes Applications, Data, Technologies, Processes, and Users.
- Analyzes and designs viable solutions to high complexity business problems according to user specifications and oversees implementation of end-to-end integrated solutions.
- Ensures sound and robust architecture and provides sufficient guidance for the successful implementation of solutions to mitigate any negative impact on Technology and Enterprise budget.
- Identifies risks or issues with technology solution & design which may impact realization of project benefits and provides guidance and support to stakeholders in making good decisions to proactively resolve or mitigate potential risks/delays to the project.
- Participates in the system specification review process to ensure system requirements can be translated into valid software architecture.
- Identifies and researches relevant technologies, performs Proof of Concepts / Prototypes, and recommends applications of such technologies to future product architectures.
- Proactively identifies and implements strategies to improve reliability, leveraging automation wherever possible.
- Seeks to integrate digital methods for agile, rapid prototyping, and for customer involvement.
- Plans, researches, and designs robust security architectures, standards, systems and authentication protocols for any IT project.
- Participates and contributes to future Infrastructure Releases and Middleware/Hub.
- Ensures that chosen technology is flexible, supportable and requires minimal maintenance.
- Ensures the tactical implementation of the computing styles and architecture.
- Provides security review and guidance for projects driven by groups outside of Information security, specifically developing security requirements and developing secure designs.
- Reviews architectural designs and makes recommendations for improvements.
- Participates in checkpoint and design reviews.
- Participates in Information security projects throughout the entire project lifecycle.
- Authors security standards and procedures.
- Develops a complete understanding of a company's technology and information systems.
- Performs vulnerability testing, risk analyses and security assessments.
- Analyzes trends to proactively prevent problems. Effectively resolves and follows-up on problems as they occur.
- Develops and recommends productivity aids in all aspects of assignments to accelerate delivery.
- Operates at a group/enterprise-wide level and serves as a specialist resource to senior leaders and stakeholders.
- Applies expertise and thinks creatively to address unique or ambiguous situations and to find solutions to problems that can be complex and non-routine.
- Implements changes in response to shifting trends.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
We're here to help
- Typically 7+ years of relevant experience and a post-secondary degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or Information Systems or a related field of study or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Information Security certification is preferred e.g. CISSP, CISSLP, GIAC etc.
- Expert knowledge of computer or network systems hardware and software theory, practice, concepts and technology relevant to organizational vision.
- Sufficient business knowledge to assess impact of applied technology on customer's business processes.
- Knowledge of project management methodology and its applicability to successful delivery of technical change.
- Understands the strategic technical direction of: Middleware, Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment Testing, Systems Management, Enterprise Data & Access Layers, Pertinent Styles of Computing.
- Possesses a deep understanding and problem solving ability of Information Technology of various scale, degree and dimension of complexity.
- Proficient in the techniques that go into producing designs of complex systems, including requirements discovery and analysis, formulation of solution context, identification of solution alternatives and their assessment, technology selection, and design configuration.
- Familiar with network protocols and networking infrastructure.
- Working knowledge of Information security risk, and industry best practices with minimum of 2 years relevant experience.
- Working knowledge of the technical areas such as data warehouses, mainframes, networks, applications etc.
- Knowledge of Corporate Policies, Standards, and operating procedures relating to information security risk.
- Working knowledge of the technology domain the architecture is being developed for. E.g. Databases, Product, Service, etc.
- Ability to review technical work.
- Deep technical and system-level expertise in one or more technology areas.
- Seasoned professional with a combination of education, experience and industry knowledge.
- Verbal & written communication skills - In-depth / Expert.
- Analytical and problem solving skills - In-depth / Expert.
- Influence skills - In-depth / Expert.
- Collaboration & team skills; with a focus on cross-group collaboration - In-depth / Expert.
- Able to manage ambiguity.
- Data driven decision making - In-depth / Expert.
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do - helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future-the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we're changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one - for yourself and our customers. We'll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network- building opportunities, we'll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com.
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other's differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.