- Gaborone, South East, Botswana
- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank
Associate, Treasury Markets, Botswana
- Location: Gaborone, South East, Botswana
- Salary: Competitive
- Job Type: Full time
Associate, Treasury Markets, BotswanaAbout Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
• Maintain statutory reserve requirements without failure.
• Ensure the Money Market operations are undertaken within approved limits. Check day's maturities to ensure not to overexpose the Bank on any institution when investing funds to minimise losses.
• Monitor and manage the bank's maturing investments in Government securities and re-investing at most profitable rates as well as reinvesting for customers as required.
• Transact trades on the Bank's own account to generate revenue or hedge risk with knowledge of customer-based transaction flows, and in anticipation of future changes in the market, derived from economic and technical analysis, making use of associated products as appropriate to enhance yield or mitigate risk.
• Provide FTP rates to the Finance department and work with them in solving any problems arising from the FTP calculation.
• Advise businesses on short-term strategies to manage money market exposure (FX and local currency).
• Ensure deposit and funding rates are competitive so as to develop and increase relations with customers.
• Manage the bank's foreign currency book.
• Make recommendations to the Director of TM/ Head of Financial Markets on deposit pricing and on when to buy or sell marketable assets to suit the Bank's requirements.
• Network with internal customers, external market counterparts and other SCB dealing centres, in order to solicit customers' feedback, gain market intelligenc, benchmark trading techniques, and enhance the Bank's profile in the market.
• Trade as a dealer for a particular area of the desk's product range. In this case, Money Market dealer in both local and foreign markets.
• Contribute to building the bank's reputation in the international market through personally demonstrating a high level or professionalism at all times, and through developing mutually beneficial working relationships with agents, advisors, counter-parties etc.
• Manage the transaction-based risks generated in trading, by working within the established parameters and rules appropriate to the trading product (trading limits, stop loss, hedging mark-to-market, etc.).
• Ensure to remain alert to the risk of Money Laundering and assist in the Bank's efforts in combating it by adhering to the key principles in relation to: Identitying your Customer, Know Your Customer, Reporting Suspicious Transactions, Safeguarding Records and not disclosing suspicions to customers.
Surveyed Benchmark Submission
• Authority is hereby granted to you as the SCBONDS rate submission checker, to prepare the rates submissions for publication.
• All rate submissions must be duly approved in a maker/checker process before publication
• All publications on the SCBONDS Reuters Page, should be confirmed via email to RatesSetting, Submissions and copied to HoFM, BORM, and Botswana, MakerChecker
Relationship with Clients
• Ensure full understanding of other businesses' strategies, providing support with regards to funding and pricing requirements.
• Network on behalf of the T-M business with internal customers, external market counterparties, and other SCB centres, in order to solicit customer feedback, gain market intelligence, benchmark trading techniques, and enhance the Bank's profile in the market.
• To drive the Bank's Outserve initiative within T-M, ensuring this covers both internal and external relationships.
a) Director, T-M:
Direct formal/informal communications for problem solving, information exchange, performance and guidance.
b) Sales and Marketing Unit:
Deposit placement from companies and individuals. Exchanging information on Money Markets. Securing profitable/low cost deposits from companies and individuals.
c) Manager, Treasury Operation:
For direct formal/informal communications for problem solving.
a) Money Market Dealers of Other banks/Financial Institutions:
Maintain a flow of information and be aware of what is happening in the market.
b) Bank of Botswana:
Maintain and monitor the Bank's positions to comply with BoB regulations. Keeping up-to-date on trends and matters concerning Money Market.
To give advice on Money Market Products in order to obtain business and promote relationship.
Our Ideal Candidate
• A university degree in a relevant field or equivalent plus 2 years experience in Money Market FX environment / interest rate environment.
• To confidently perform these duties an extensive working knowledge of the Money Market and other Treasury products is required.
• The individual must be to work quickly and accurately under pressure.
• The individual must have ability for clear expression and communication both written and oral. Good marketing/selling skills.
• A sound knowledge of general banking is also required to be able to discuss the Bank and company affairs confidently and portray a professional image of the Bank.
• Should be able to use the key economic indicators to explain product features and benefits.
• Good aptitude for figures and, computer skills essential.
• Good interpersonal skills
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.