Wholesale Banking Auditor
- Manama, Capital Governorate, Bahrain Manama Capital Governorate BH
- Permanent, Full time
- 25 May 18 2018-05-25
To support Group Audit in providing assurance to Senior Management and the Audit Committee on the adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls primarily related to all aspects of the Wholesale Banking business.
- Delivery of audit assignments in line with the annual plan and scope
- Providing ongoing risk assessment and input to the annual audit plan
- Managing relationships within the organization or external parties
- Adhering and contributing to the Audit methodology and supporting tools
Dimensions of role (i.e. budgets managed, number of staff):
Financial (Revenue, Expenses, Budgets etc.)
- Group Audit is a cost center. The Internal Auditor (any role) is primarily responsible for ensuring that audit expenses incurred adhere to internal policies and are kept within authorized budgets.
Non-Financial (size of team, geographical coverage, time horizon of main decisions, etc.)
- The job holder is primarily responsible for performing audit planning and fieldwork activities, identifying, discussing, agreeing and documenting factual findings and issues
- The Audit team based at the Group Head Office in Bahrain includes the Group Chief Auditor, four Audit Heads, 6 audit professionals, one Audit Support Management and one Executive Assistant.
- Travel abroad may be required occasionally (max 20%).
Principal Responsibilities, Accountabilities and Deliverables of Role:
1. Know your business
- Monitor business activity to identify any changes in risk profiles or deterioration in control environment and updating audit risk assessment and plans to align with emerging risks/control issues – these can be achieved through activities such as regular meetings with group and local heads of wholesale banking and credit;
- Keep abreast of new laws, regulations, rules, group and local policies, products, technologies and projects and consider implications specifically wholesale banking and credit.
2. Maintain the Audit Universe
- Maintain and update a structured inventory of auditable entities for wholesale banking and credit, representing the total population of local divisions, functions, products and client coverage, including Islamic Banking.
3. Develop the Annual Audit Plan
- Support the development of the Annual Audit Plan for wholesale banking and credit based on risk assessment taking into account business monitoring activities and specific requests from Management.
4. Deliver the Annual Audit Plan
- Perform audit assignments in line with the approved Annual Audit Plan, on time and within budget. The primary focus will be on coverage of wholesale banking and credit
5. Adhere to audit standards and requirements
- Adhere to Group Audit and international standards and requirements related to code of ethics, principles, staffing, methodology and the quality of work papers, deliverables and reporting.
6. Manage relationship with key stakeholders
- Maintain an appropriate, pro-active, constructive and balanced relationship with local Management; supporting Group Audit in the fulfillment of obligations and responsibilities in respect of governance, risk management and internal controls.
7. Maintain the local Corrective Action Tracking process
- Support the Audit Head of Wholesale Banking and Credit with pro-active and effective tracking / monitoring of progress achieved with the implementation of agreed corrective action plans related to audit reports published.
8. Manage self-career development
- Pursue continuous development of knowledge, skills, experience and professional certifications to support Internal Audit responsibilities. Seek coaching and mentoring with more senior colleagues whenever required for career development and achieving greater responsibilities in future.
Risk, Compliance & Business Continuity:
- At all times, act with due care, skill and diligence to ensure compliance with Bank’s risk culture, policies and procedures, Code of Conduct and Values.
- Ensure a climate of openness, transparency and accountability for compliance with external regulations and internal risk policies and procedures, where issues are raised and escalated, as appropriate and required, in a timely manner.
- Ensure that stakeholders and reports are educated on risk and compliance matters, and that all employees in reporting line complete mandatory training to schedule.
- Ensure that policies and procedures for your area(s) of responsibility are clearly documented, stored in an accessible manner, and kept up to date.
- Participate in exercises to rehearse the banks response to an emergency situation (i.e. evacuation exercises and Business Continuity tests)
Job Context (Circumstances & environment surrounding the job):
Group Audit (GA) consists of a Bahrain-based team plus local Group Audit teams based in overseas units of The Bank. GA is responsible for providing independent assurance on the adequacy and effectiveness of Bank’s internal controls to the Executive Management and the Board of The Bank (via the Audit Committee). This is achieved by completing Audit assignments according to a risk-based Annual Audit Plan. The findings of the Audit assignments are included within published Audit Reports which contain findings requiring management to undertake corrective actions to address any control weaknesses identified. Reports and issues are also presented to the Audit Committee of the Board of the Bank on a quarterly basis.
Given the nature of GA’s role within the business, the job holder is expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity and confidentiality at all times. The volume, importance and confidentiality of the material with which the job holder will deal with will require a strong sense of discretion and the ability to organize and present material in a cogent way.
Group Audit staffs liaise with individuals at all levels within the organization, including Executive Management and Board members. The job holder will be required to conduct all interactions with courtesy, respect and professionalism.
- Hands-on knowledge of risk-based auditing methodologies, international standards, processes and practices
- Strong data analysis and/or technical skills to analyse complex business data utilizing automated tools and help identify problems would be an advantage. Knowledge of audit software (Teammate, BWise, IDEA, ACL) is also beneficial
- Demonstrable knowledge of the Wholesale banking business (products, services, commercial, support functions, operations and supporting systems)
- Strong knowledge base of Central Bank regulations
- Fluent in English (and second language desirable: Arabic or French)
Education / Certifications
- Bachelor degree preferably in finance, economics, accounting, banking, auditing, management or related subjects.
- Professional certification such as CA/ ACCA/ CPA/ CIA/ CBA preferred
- Ideally 12+ years of Audit experience of which at least 4+ years in Wholesale Banking and / or Credit, multi-national experience preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills both verbal and written and ability to interact confidently with internal clients, Senior Management, external Auditors and Regulators
- Strong team player, able to build and leverage relationships across the organization
- Strong judgement and decision making skills