To lead and manage the Group’s centralised Transaction Monitoring Unit (TMU) performing Sanctions Screening and AML Monitoring related activities within Group Operations. The job holder will assist the Group Head of Transaction Monitoring Units in • Operationalizing the target operating model for Transaction screening, Name Screening and Post-fact Transaction Monitoring activities within Bank ABC, working closely with the Unit MLROs, Group Compliance and Group IT. • The day-to-day management of the team.
Principal Responsibilities, Accountabilities and Deliverables of Role:
Direct Reporting to the Group Head of Transaction Monitoring Units the job holder will:
- Assist in building and operationalizing the target operating model for the TMU.
- Assist and maintain operating procedures based upon Group Financial Crime Polices and Standards
- Ensure that investigations are conducted as per the procedures and provide regular assurance of such to relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure the Operational Performance standards are met.
- Ensure that people issues within the team are addressed in a timely manner.
- Actively and routinely engage Unit MLROs to provide and receive continuous feedback loop on alerting quality, volumes, TMU performance and significant cases/lessons learned
- Implement the training framework to ensure that staff are trained and competent to undertake designated processing activities.
- Work with the team to produce detailed Management Information periodically on Key metrics including but not limited to volumes, trends, Quality, Service Levels etc.
- Review processes and workflows on an ongoing basis to improve accuracy, efficiency and effectiveness.
- Proactively identify and address operational risks. Track and ensure closure of action points pertaining to risk mitigation.
- Engage with Group Compliance on process related matters.
- Undertake and drive special projects, as required.
Bank ABC is working on a multi-year plan to hub it’s Sanctions Screening and AML Transaction Monitoring activities from Egypt, Jordan, Tunisia, Algeria, New York, ABCIB London, ABCIB Paris, ABCIB Frankfurt and ABCIB Milan in Bahrain. The Bank has commenced the hubbing of Transaction Screening and is aiming to complete Name Screening activities in 2018 and Transaction Monitoring in 2019.
The job holder is expected to gain a thorough understanding of the Bank’s systems, process flows, Target Operating Model (TOM) and support the Group Head of TMU in successful hubbing and Service Delivery of Sanctions Screening and AML Transaction Monitoring activities.
The job holder will need to exhibit a high degree of personal integrity, a can do attitude, an ability to work in a highly diverse environment, a zealousness for delivering change and a passion for challenging the status quo.
The job holder will be closely working with the Operations, Country Compliance, Group Compliance, IT, Business Process Management and Project Management teams to ensure successful implementation of projects and initiatives.
- Familiarity with leading Transaction Monitoring and Screening systems (e.g. Fircosoft, SafeWatch, Oracle, Detica, Actimize, SIRON etc)
- Excellent understanding of Banking segments, products, services, Sanctions, and AML gained from hands on experience in operational and compliance related roles.
- Familiarity with and exposure to continuous improvement Methodologies
- Ability to develop and deliver presentations documentation e.g. Progress Reports etc.
- Familiarity with the lessons learned from recent enforcement actions relating to flaws in Transaction Monitoring and Screening systems and data
- Familiarity with various governance and operating models for transaction monitoring and screening at international banks.
- MS Office – Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio.
Education / Certifications
- Finance, banking, accounting, business or risk management degree or qualification or equivalent professional qualification.
- Ideally, ICA or ACAMS certified.
- 8+ Years of experience managing an Investigations/Surveillance (Transaction Monitoring and/or Screening) team at an International Bank.
- Experience working with or in (offshore) Compliance Centers of Excellence
- Experience with outsourcing/offshoring investigative processes
- Personal Attributes
- Strong personal integrity
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work proactively without supervision.
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written in English and ideally one other ABC business language, i.e. Arabic, French or Portuguese.
- Ability to speak in public and to stakeholders confidently.
- Strong interpersonal skills to ensure effective interactions with all levels in the business.
- Ability to manage conflict and work under pressure.
- Strong judgment and decision making skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and analytical skills.
- Strong time management and results orientation.
- Flexible and positive approach to work, ‘can do’ attitude.
- Ability to think beyond what is being requested.