Technical Operations Engineer (Colocation Services)
Amazon Web Services (AWS) offers an exciting, dynamic role and encourages creativity and personal development while maintaining computing environments in a secure, scalable, and cost-effective manner. At Amazon, career progression is part of our environment. We want you to progress, so come and work for the world's most Customer-centric Company in an exciting, dynamic and challenging environment encouraging creativity and personal development while maintaining AWS computing environments in a secure, scalable, and cost-effective manner.
We are looking for a Colocation Technical Operations Engineer in our Data Center Engineering Operations team.
The Opportunity: Colocation Technical Operations Engineer (TOE)
The Technical Operations Engineer will be responsible for Data Center Engineering Operations (DCEO), including risk management and mitigation, joint planning of corrective and preventative maintenance of critical infrastructure and vendor management within a shared 'Colocation' Data Center environment.
This role is a unique opportunity to work with some of the most cutting edge data centers in the world to deliver exceptional customer service and satisfaction for Amazon's customers.
A Technical Operations Engineer is the primary point of contact for both internal and external stakeholders. Typical hours of operation is a 38 hour week, Monday to Friday, with a team member on-call to cover out of ours support each week. The on call team member is the Colocation main point of contact for any planned or unplanned activities that may occur.
Within the Colocation team, each Technical Operations Engineer is assigned to a base site, as a site lead, and is expected to learn and assist at other sites across the operation as required.
Some of the key responsibilities you will undertake are:
• Meet daily hours of operations and on call requirements and response during rotations. Responsible for the on-site management of contractors, sub-contractors and vendors, ensuring that all work performed, is in accordance with established practices, procedures and local legislation.
• Establish performance benchmarks, conduct analysis and prepare reports on all aspects of the critical facility infrastructure operations and maintenance as required.
• Generate Change Management requests and Incident Management tickets for events that DCEO are responsible to manage.
• Review the management of both routine maintenance and emergency services on a variety of critical systems such as: switchgear, generators, UPS systems, power distribution equipment, chillers, cooling towers, computer room air handlers, building monitoring systems, etc.
• Management and tracking of the Facility assets and the provision of infrastructure & inventory asset management.
• Familiar with Work Order compliance to ensure all contractual SLA's are achieved.
• Attend and participate in regular Construction & Operational Meetings as required.
• Chair daily operational meetings and participate in performance and availability metric reporting.
• Interface with Infrastructure Operations management for day to day operational requirements.
• Contribute ideas to improve operational efficiency.
• Act as the main point of contact between different Colocation and AWS stakeholders involving strong communication and relationship management.
• Coordinate and complete all audits requested by various AWS stakeholders.
• This position also has a physical component requiring the ability to lift and rack equipment; it may require working in cramped spaces or in elevated locations while adhering to health and safety guidelines.
• Establish documentation relevant to business & facility operations, including Standard Operating procedures and/or Emergency Operating procedures.
• Responsible for the installation of the racks and the provision of power/cooling within the environment.
• Assist in the design, implementation, commissioning and build out of new facilities.
• Assist in the diagnosis and resolution of any infrastructure engineering or services issue.
• Participate in and deliver on a number of high impact small to mid-scale projects.
• Work with DC managers (IT) and other business leaders to coordinate projects, manage capacity, and optimize infrastructure safety, performance, reliability, sustainability and efficiency.
• Drive and implement projects to increase current facility capacity, efficiency, sustainability and reliability.
• Remediation or recovery of physical power issues on racks.
• Participate in Data Center power & cooling events.
• Maintain a high level of system reliability by prioritizing and resolving trouble tickets efficiently.
• Escalation point and technical troubleshooting for all environmental and facility issues.
Mentoring: Share knowledge and help develop and educate less experienced staff on the best practices related to all site owner responsibilities.
Hiring: Contribute towards building a great team by getting involved in the Amazon hiring process/candidate interviews.
** For more information on our data centers please visit http://infrastructure.aws
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • 4+ years of relevant experience in maintaining a DC or Critical space facility.
• Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated leadership, stakeholder and organizational skills.
• Attention to detail with proven ability to prioritize in complex, fast-paced environment.
• Familiar with the concepts and interaction of Service Management systems (Problem and Change).
• Experience in Project Management disciplines.
• Experience with the development and review of MOPs & SWMS for planned works.
• Physical Security protocol awareness.
• Computer literate, confident with Office Suite.
• Candidates must possess a valid driver's license and their own vehicle to travel between sites.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or relevant technical (military/trade school) degree and relevant experience.
• Subject Matter Expert in any discipline of critical data center infrastructure.
• 6+ years of Data Center Engineering/Operations Experience.
• 4+ years of Data Center Management Experience, preferably in a Colocation or shared Data Center service provider.
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age. Amazon provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.