Systems Engineer (Quality and Troubleshooting) - Tableau
To get the best candidate experience, please consider applying for a maximum of 3 roles within 12 months to ensure you are not duplicating efforts. Job Category
Products and Technology Job Details About Tableau, a Salesforce company
Tableau helps people see and understand data. Our analytics platform fuels exploration, allowing you to quickly answer questions with data and share insights across your organization. Global enterprises, early-stage startups, nonprofits, and governments all use Tableau's intuitive software to quickly transform their data into actionable insights. We are passionate about our product and our mission and we are loyal to each other and our company. We value work/life balance, efficiency, simplicity, freakishly friendly customer service, and making a difference in the world! What you'll be doing...
Tableau is expanding our Global Engagement team. We are looking for new team members as part of our global effort providing 24x7 engineering support to customers in collaboration with Support teams.
The Engagement team focuses on debugging and triaging of customer related issues, enabling other engineering teams to focus on releasing features and products that truly impact people's lives. Our team is part of the Release and Feedback group, which allows us not just to impact customers by helping to address some of their most critical issues, but also as the custodians of troubleshooting best practices, profoundly affect the Tableau community, by helping to extend the product's ease of use that users experience to the management and troubleshooting of Tableau environments. We act as a listening post to share opportunities to reduce customers and support teams pain points regarding troubleshooting.
A successful Engineer joining the team will perform an initial review and investigation of issues from our top-level customers, verifying they are indeed product issues and not a configuration or user-error issue. In critical customer situations, the primary focus will be to support the restoration and stability of the customer's environment. Working with other engineering teams if the issue will be related to a product defect. This work will include performing root-cause analysis, determining areas of interest in the product logs, narrowing the focus of the investigation, simplifying issue reproduction and helping other engineering teams understand how customers are deploying and using our software. Also, developing and maintaining utilities to facilitate and improve investigations and provide knowledge and tools to the Technical Support to assist with their efforts.
Some of the things you'll be doing include ...
Who you are...
- Qualifying incoming bugs as true bugs, and not a user error, nor a 3rd party software or environment, etc issue. Thorough analysis of product log files, crash dumps, network traces, Xperf traces, etc to provide timely root cause analysis
- Work directly with Sustaining Engineers, Support Engineers, Sales Consultants, and Customers to resolve complex issues and provide technical action plans, and where required, help drive investigation to completion.
- Streamline and clarify active issues by associating incoming issues with existing bugs, helping uphold proper reporting/escalation/closure processes for customer issues.
- Create and maintain tools and documentation, while also participating in internal groups to answer escalated queries from the Support team, while also including tracking these queries to ensure they are answered in a correct and timely fashion
- Continually collaborate with lead Support Engineers, coaching on investigation next steps, authoring of clearly specified bugs; and providing training/mentorship on new modules or products.
- Build scripting and automation tools that enable you and the team to gain deeper insights into customer issues more quickly. Work to gain adoption of these tools from internal and external users.
- Regularly provide technical direction and mentorship to other engineers on our team
- Build and grow your influence within Tableau as an advocate for our customer's needs and product quality.
- Experienced. BSCS or equivalent work experience.
- Data Rockstar. Deep analytics product knowledge and query language skills. An ability to quickly gain such knowledge to a level that empowers you to drive discussions with engineering teams - not just on customer related issues, but also on how our product can be enhanced and supportability improved.
- Problem Solver. Excellent troubleshooting skills and a demonstrated ability to break down large, complex client/server issues into manageable components. Your ability to synthesize solutions for problems not easily solved by standard troubleshooting, likely means you'll do well in this role.
- Highly Technical. You understand networking technology, and how servers and networks inter-relate at an "Administrative" and technically deep level. You regularly take part in deep-dive troubleshooting exercises and conduct technical post-mortems to identify the root cause of complex issues.
- Strong communication and presentation skills. Able to clearly communicate technical ideas to various technical and non-technical internal audiences, as well as customers.
- You are a Recruiter! Tableau hires company builders and, in this role, you will be asked to be on the constant lookout for the best talent to bring onboard to help us continue to build one of the best companies in the world.
Tableau will operate independently under the Tableau brand, driving forward a continued focus on our mission, our customers and our Tableau Community. The acquisition closed on August 1, 2019, and Tableau is a wholly-owned subsidiary of salesforce.com, inc.
If you require assistance due to a disability applying for open positions please submit a request via this Accommodations Request Form. Posting Statement
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at Salesforce and explore our benefits.
Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org do not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesfore.com or Salesforce.org.
Salesforce welcomes all.