Systems Development Engineer - RDS OS Eng
DESCRIPTION Want to work on the coolest technology while growing your career, in a group that cares about people just as much as products?
Amazon is breaking new ground and changing the rules for relational databases. If you're an engineer who is looking to grow, come on board! We have one of the most senior teams in AWS - and our senior engineers are eager to brainstorm, mentor, and get software built together.
RDS for MySQL & MariaDB runs the largest fleet of MySQL & MariaDB databases in the world. By combining the open source power and popularity of MySQL with Amazon Web Services, for both our database engines, we think we have a winning combination for both startups and enterprises who are moving all their most important data and applications to the cloud. Check out the awesomeness of MySQL & MariaDB at https://www.mysql.com/ & https://mariadb.org/.
We have challenging problems to solve in distributed systems, concurrency, database internals, caching, query optimization, languages, tool automation and performance engineering. We intend to be the world's best managed database, built by an excellent team, all while having fun - come join us on the journey!
For more information about RDS for MySQL & MariaDB, please visit https://aws.amazon.com/rds/mysql/ & https://aws.amazon.com/rds/mariadb/.
You will be responsible for defining the development/scripting and testing standards, mentoring junior engineers and hiring for the team. In this role you will frequently work with multiple teams within RDS ands and other AWS teams and translate the requirements to technical deliverables.
This role requires someone who maintains high standards thorougher due-diligence. This is a critical role in releasing, operating, testing, supporting and improving the automation practices surrounding our linux based operating systems on which RDS operate on.
You should possess a strong working knowledge of Linux based operating systems and distributed systems, working knowledge with an object oriented programming language. Ability to learn new skills and concepts rapidly and work independently is essential. Candidates need to have a strong sense of ownership, passion to provide great customer experience and excellent troubleshooting skills even when in high-pressure situations.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
• Experience with DevOps (CI/CD) concepts and tooling
• Hands on experience with Linux operating systems (OS) and trouble shooting OS related issues
• 2+ years of professional experience in a software environment, developing high quality code or equivalent experience with complex bash scripting .
• Proficient in writing code ideally in C/C++/JAVA/Python or a modern programming languages, including object-oriented design
• Experience in contributing toward the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and existing systems.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Experience in communicating with peers, technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements & describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Computer Science fundamentals (data Structures, algorithms and complexity analysis).
• Experienced in mentoring software engineers to help improve their skills, efficiency and productivity.
• Experience in improving process and applying best practices for a whole project/team with solid expertise of software development life cycle; including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Knowledgeable in Distributed computing and large-scale systems, taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers.
• Exposure to large-scale distributed storage and database systems (e.g. SQL, NoSQL, Graph Databases)
• Delivered software in an environment that utilises Agile methodologies like SCRUM or Kanban.
• Hand on experience with AWS services.