Strategy Director - Climate
Climate Strategist - Institutional Banking & Markets, CBA See yourself in our team
Institutional Banking and Markets (IB&M) is responsible for managing the CBA Group's relationships with major corporate, institutional and government clients, and provides a full range of capital raising, transaction banking and markets risk management products and services. The IB&M Strategy team works collaboratively with the Leadership Team to shape IB&M's strategic agenda and the role it plays in the Group. Our purpose is to "constructively challenge IB&M on conventional wisdom and focus on blind-spots to better achieve client and bank outcomes". Our service offering covers the full-range of: business unit strategy development; alliances and partnership due diligence & management; business model innovation; climate strategy; execution monitoring; and digital strategy. We pride ourselves on working closely with business partners to combine subject matter expertise and strategic thinking to find and solve big problems. Do work that matters
We are looking for a world-class climate specialist to join our high-performing strategy team at what is a pivotal time in our history .
The Group is adopting a science-based approach to climate transition and is looking to turbo-charge what we are doing in this space over the next ~8.5 years (until 2030).
We need an exceptional team player and strategic thinker to help IB&M carve-out a leading position on Climate. This role will represent the voice of strategy in discussions and on initiatives in collaboration with colleagues across the Group, including: sustainable finance; client solutions and markets; data & analytics; product; technology; finance; risk; marketing; and corporate affairs.
You will be tasked with:
We're interested in hearing from people who have
- Identifying granular opportunities and partnerships along the abatement and drawdown cost curves, across both early stage and later stage opportunities.
- Offering independent advice and guidance to business stakeholders as well as working as a thought partner to the rest of the Strategy team on larger strategy projects.
- Understanding and keeping abreast of regulatory framework changes at both a global macro and domestic level and synthesising the main implications for Australian businesses, consumers and CBA. This will involve being well-connected into a subset of key standard-setting bodies and potentially representing CBA as required in conjunction with other teams.
- Identifying commercial opportunities across the environmental value chain across:
- renewable energy power generation and smart grids;
- electrification of transport and development of alternative low-emissions fuel;
- general abatement and replacing the machinery of the economy with zero emissions hardware;
- supporting development of local and lower cost manufacturing using clean energy/materials;
- development of environmental markets in carbon and bio-diversity futures;
- mobilisation of both nature-based and technological sequestration methods.
- This includes both business and funding model innovation as well as new product development, particularly data-product related and in alignment with the Federal Government's Technology Roadmap.
- Developing required policy and portfolio management guardrails to support rollout of a science-based approach to client transition and to banker incentivisation including identification of levers to support management action and working with business partners to support implementation of carbon pricing mechanics.
- Working with stakeholders across the business as required on climate modelling and analysis, presentation of options and recommendations to senior management and general coordination of a number of established and emerging cross-functional climate initiatives.
- Working with stakeholders to design/develop Climate strategies that consider the evidence being produced in relation to people impacts and emphasis the financial wellbeing of the financially disadvantaged (i.e. emphasis on the 'Care' value of CBA).
- The role will not be originating business as such, but will provide detailed thought leadership and analysis to front-line teams, clients and policy makers on how CBA can support Australia's decarbonisation journey including detailed site location analysis and high-level business case development on potential projects / initiatives that CBA may play a part in funding or facilitating.
- 10-15 years' experience in a top-tier strategy or environmental consulting firm, bank or in-house corporate development team
- Ability to self-start , drive and self-manage (particularly if working remotely)
- Ability to create impact quickly, earn trust of colleagues and influence outcomes
- Strategic thinking skills, including a hypothesis-based and structured approach to problem solving
- Strong verbal, written and visual communication skills to logically and concisely express insights to stakeholders of all levels of experience and backgrounds
- Creative intelligence and systems thinking
- Financial/quantitative analysis and modelling
- Leadership, gravitas and team player qualities
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Economics or Climate Science.
- Desired, but not essential: Master's Degree in Economics, Finance or Environmental Discipline or CFA Charterholder
If you're already part of the Commonwealth Bank Group (including Bankwest), you'll need to apply through Sidekick to submit a valid application. We're keen to support you with the next step in your career.
Advertising End Date: 24/06/2021