Software Development Manager - AWS Networking
DESCRIPTION We are designing and delivering software at Amazon scale to manage and upgrade the AWS network-a large part of what makes up the global internet. Our team is responsible for the end-to-end deployment of all changes to configurations, operating systems, and other artefacts that run the Amazon network, encompassing millions of network devices worldwide. We design, author, and vend the software infrastructure ourselves to safely, reliably, predictably, and quickly roll out changes to the fleet. Humans make mistakes, so despite the size and complexity of our problem space, we feel it's important that our solutions be simple and use as little human interaction as possible. We are searching for software engineering managers who thrive working with distributed software systems that work at immense scale, who have a passion for elegant software written with the highest standards in mind, and who believe in a customer-driven approach to system design.
We are a group that values diverse perspectives, collaborate freely, and believe we should help each other succeed (and fail) as a team. We love to learn and take ownership for our work, and we think you probably do too. As a member of our team, you will have opportunities to stretch your skills. We are often the first team to do what we do: there's no StackOverflow article for that!
Here are some reasons you should come work with us:
• You want to lead a team that builds software that scales to operate the largest network on earth.
• You love to learn, and you seek out diverse viewpoints from the smartest minds around the world in order to solve problems that don't have a solution you can run a search for.
• You want to own solutions where you get to define technical objectives, prioritise delivery, and be responsible for all aspects of the lifecycle.
• You like to experiment, with the accompanying failures that occur, because you are pushing the boundaries of our field. You see failure as an opportunity to learn and grow both yourself and your team.
• You value the highest technical standards, have a propensity towards action in solving problems and take ownership for your results.
A successful candidate will be a hands-on manager with strong technical ability, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a dynamic fast paced environment.
Your day-to-day responsibilities:
• You will dive deep into Amazon's world-spanning network architecture
• Build a best-in-class engineering team that delivers excellent results through rapid iterations
• Design and develop state-of-the-art approaches to solving complex and ambiguous problems
• Cultivate engineering and operational excellence through metrics and continuous learning
• Establish technical vision for the team
The successful candidate will:
• Be responsible for the end to end ownership of their system, including engaging customers to determine the requirements
• Grow software engineers that are responsible for developing and maintaining software.
• Be a champion of engineering and operational excellence: establish team metrics for measurement of engineering and operational excellence and a consistent, regular process for assessment and improvement.
• Establish a consistent, project management framework and excellent development processes to deliver high quality software, in rapid iterations, for business partners in multiple geographies.
• Show business and technical judgment that will accelerate time to market of releases, while incrementally moving our services towards the long term vision.
• Be responsible for mentoring and developing engineers
• Raise the bar on technical excellence, show thought leadership, and communicate proficiently and concisely to different audiences.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • 5+ year of industry experience of leading software teams that have built large scale distributed systems.
• A background as a Software Development Engineer with computer science fundamentals: a bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science (or equivalent)
• 10+ years of experience in building production software applications with focus on efficient back-end components
• End to End management of multiple of services, including operations management of software and systems.
• Managed a team of at least 8 to 15 software engineers and responsible for code reviews, performance, and career growth.
• Translation of the customer, stakeholder, and peer requirements into detailed project plans and schedules; manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team by defining, implementing and maintaining a coherent, progressive development strategy for our product line
• High attention to detail with proven ability to juggle multiple competing priorities simultaneously and make things happen in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
• Management and execution against project plans and delivery commitments
• Work closely with the engineers to develop the best technical design and approach for service development and operations
• Interest in working on Networking based Services.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Raise team productivity and effectiveness by defining and driving metrics-driven software engineering best practices.
• Work independently with customers, stakeholders, and peers, and effectively balance their needs and requirements
• Providing clear and measurable visibility into project execution to senior leadership
• Continue to build an effective development organization by driving the recruiting and hiring of senior level engineers, developing and managing the group, and conducting performance reviews of team members
• Create and execute against project plans, test strategies and processes for development activities in concert with business and project management efforts
• Drive and manage the bug triage process, represent development team in project meetings to ensure efficient testing and bug fixing process, and be an effective advocate for the development group
• Report metric-driven status of service quality to management, customer support and product/service teams
• Knowledge of networking software development
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran /Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.