Software Development Engineer - RDS (Relational Database Services)
DESCRIPTION Come join a creative, innovative, and diverse team of Java and Python experts dedicated to build high impact software products and tooling that directly improve the lives of internal and external RDS customers, working on some of the largest distributed systems in the world with the endless challenges of solving some of the most complex problems related to user-experience, databases, machine learning, automation and cutting edge technologies!
Our AWS RDS team is expanding their software presence here in Sydney, Australia. The AWS Relational Database Service (RDS) is one of the fastest-growing AWS businesses, providing super-simple provisioning and management for databases in the cloud. Customers can set up a new database with just a few clicks, and complex administrative tasks like scaling, fail-over, and monitoring are all handled in an automated fashion by our control systems. For more information about RDS, please visit http://aws.amazon.com/rds.
Our team has a very flat organizational structure and casual office vibe. The team operate much like a start-up in that we try to keep them small, but leverage all the resources and stability of being the largest cloud provider. This dynamic creates a fast-paced, innovative stimulating environment with a lot of ownership, collaboration, and little red tape.
We are looking for Software Development Engineers who have built a lot of software - shipped products, created platforms, tools and modules. You'll be passionate about optimizing the software development experience at a very large scale, using your strong technical skills and motivation to achieve results in a fast paced environment.
Enthusiastic about learning new technologies, industry trends who get excited by the idea of solving hard technical challenge it what we are seeking!
This team is a great fit for you if:
As a Software Development Engineer you will:
• If you enjoy creating design, implement, and deploy software components and features and deliver solution successfully end to end.
• You are passionate about solving difficult and complex problems
• You love working on team's software architecture and deep dive in details to make technical trade-offs between short-term team needs and long-term business needs.
• While you enjoy delivering solutions, you also keep operational excellence in mind, constructively identifying problems and proposing solutions.
• You like making improvements to your team's development and testing processes.
• You enjoy collaborating in a diverse team environment
• You like training new team-mates about your customers, what your team's software does, how it is constructed, tested, operates, and how it fits into the bigger picture.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent professional experience.
• Proficiency in at least one modern programming language, such as: C, C++, Java, or Python
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Knowledge of systems that scale through software (architecture, design patterns and reliability).
• You have a good understanding of Web Services, XML, SQL, networking and distributed systems.
• Able to work in a diverse team
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle; including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Experience with Linux/UNIX system administration and troubleshooting
• Hand on experience with AWS services and APIs such as RDS, EC2, Dynamo DB, CloudWatch.
• Excellent organizational, prioritization and time management skills
• Comfortable with rapidly-evolving Agile development environments
• Have mentored software engineers to help improve their skills, efficiency, and productivity.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Masters in Computer Science or equivalent.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status