Managing Counsel, VP
State Street is the world’s leading provider of financial services to institutional investors, with over 33,500 employees worldwide, with offices located in 30 countries. Our broad and integrated range of services spans the entire investment spectrum including research, investment management, trading services and investment servicing. At State Street we believe in developing new talent, creating career opportunities for our employees and promoting mobility across all job levels and geographic locations.
The candidate will act as Managing Counsel within the Global Markets legal division in the Asia Pacific region. Based in Sydney, he or she will supervise and manage a number of junior Global Markets lawyers located in regional State Street offices including Sydney and Hong Kong. The person will be responsible for allocation of Global Markets work flow amongst his or her Global Markets team members. In addition, the candidate will periodically review and assess employee work product. Collaboration with the team members and leadership on larger work assignments is expected. Supervisory responsibilities will also require the candidate becoming familiar and act in compliance with State Street employee management procedures and filings.
The candidate will also provide general legal support for the Global Markets divisions in Asia Pacific. He or she will have dual reporting line to the Head of Legal for Global Markets in Asia-Pacific with a corporate governance matrix reporting line to the Head of Legal, Australia and Pacific and will be responsible for duties including the following:
- Managing and developing staff on team; driving team skills development; collaborating, coaching and mentoring the team; working with HR on employee matters; managing the legal service delivery process for Global Markets business area;
- Managing and developing legal team; attending to team administrative matters, building templates, procedures and know-how; reporting and record keeping;
- Drafting and negotiating legal contracts and documentation for ISDA/CSA/FX agreements, transition management services agreements, implementation of Stay Protocols, electronic trading platforms including MTF, Global Link Buy-side and Sell-side and Currenex agreements;
- Advising on applicable laws generally and in the context of product development, regulatory changes and ongoing trading relationships; attending to regulatory matters, risk assessment and management, claims and litigation as they arise, new business and product approvals, client due diligence requests (RFPs), and corporate governance matters;
- Managing consultation process with outside legal service providers;
- Working cooperatively with peer lawyers in the Asia-Pacific, US and European regions and applicable matrix managers to complete internal approval processes;
- Participating in various corporate projects on a regional and global level including cross border licensing of European and North American based trading and or banking entities and electronic trading platforms to provide financial services within Australia, ability to synthesize application of multiple variation and initial margin requirements to determine common operating models;
- Ensuring all internal legal policies and guidelines are understood and implemented.
Qualifications and Experience
- Licensed to practice law in US, UK, Hong Kong or other common law jurisdiction with 10+ years of legal experience in law firm and/or in-house positions with experience in APAC ex-Japan jurisdictions (including Australia, Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, or PRC) preferred;
- Track record of at least one year of supervision/management of other legal counsel;
- Contract negotiations and drafting experience, sophisticated negotiation ability;
- Financial services and specifically ISDA, CSA and FX experience;
- English as a native language (another Asian language an asset but not required);
- Good interpersonal and customer service skills with ability to sustain strong relationships with clients, peers and staff;
- Ability to interact and work independently with multiple levels in an organization and in multiple jurisdictions;
- Keen understanding of market practice impacting the business lines in the relevant jurisdictions and ability to work with business units to achieve practical solutions within applicable regulatory and risk parameters;
·While based in Sydney, given the regional nature of the role, the candidate may be required to travel periodically to support the needs of business and the role.
The above cited duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work performed by a Managing Counsel assigned to the job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that the incumbent in this role may be expected or asked to perform.