Legal Counsel, Vice President
State Street is the world’s leading provider of financial services to institutional investors, with over 26,500 employees worldwide, located in 27 countries. Our broad and integrated range of services spans the entire investment spectrum including research, investment management, trading services and investment servicing. At State Street we believe in developing new talent, creating career opportunities for our employees and promoting mobility across all job levels and geographic locations.
Provide general legal support for the Global Markets divisions in Asia Pacific. The candidate will have dual reporting line to the Head of Legal for Global Markets in APAC with a matrix reporting line to the Senior Counsel Global Markets team in Hong Kong and will be responsible for duties including the following:
- Drafting and negotiating legal contracts and documentation for ISDA/CSA/FX agreements, transition management services agreements, electronic trading platforms including Global Link Buy-side and Sell-side and Currenex agreements;
- Advising on applicable laws generally and in the context of product development, regulatory changes and ongoing trading relationships;
- Managing consultation process with outside legal service providers;
- Working cooperatively with peer lawyers in the APAC, US and European regions and applicable matrix managers to complete internal approval processes;
- Participating on various corporate projects on a regional and global level;
- Ensuring all internal legal policies and guidelines are understood and implemented.
Experience and Qualifications
- Licensed to practice law in US, UK or other common law jurisdiction with 5-8 years of legal experience in law firm and/or in-house position with experience in APAC ex-Japan jurisdictions (including Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, PRC or Australia) preferred;
- Contract negotiations and drafting experience, sophisticated negotiation ability;
- Financial services and specifically ISDA, CSA and FX experience;
- English as a native language (another Asian language an asset but not required);
- Good interpersonal and customer service skills with ability to sustain strong relationships with clients, peers and staff;
- Ability to interact and work independently with multiple levels in an organization and in multiple jurisdictions;
- Keen understanding of market practice impacting the business lines in the relevant jurisdictions and ability to work with business units to achieve practical solutions within applicable regulatory and risk parameters;
- Based in Sydney and potentially required to travel on occasion to support business needs.
The above cited duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to the job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that an incumbent may be expected or asked to perform.