Electrical Design Engineer - Data Centers
DESCRIPTION Amazon Web Services is seeking an Electrical Engineer to become part of a world class engineering team to lead the Electrical design of our Data Centers across our rapidly expanding Asia Pacific (APAC) portfolio.
We're looking for candidates that share our customer obsession by providing innovative solutions to enhance our market leading reliability. Technical leaders that can explain complex systems in clear and concise language. We contribute to our global body of knowledge and drive a cycle of continuous improvement at a global scale.
Amazon offers a dynamic, fast paced, fun, and exciting work environment. We continue to grow at exponential rates and are looking for individuals that can support our speed to market, enjoy a challenge, and have a desire for professional growth and continuous learning experiences. Amazon's work environment is unique in every aspect and offers an exceptional opportunity for the right candidate.
If you are a creative, smart and driven individual that enjoys working with complex problems we want YOU! At Amazon you will be responsible for working on multi-million dollar designs that support our array of businesses and wide variety of customers. Great ideas are encouraged and supported. Ingenuity is the main mechanism which supports our focus on quality, speed, and cost.
We are looking for engineers with hands on electrical design experience across the project lifecycle from concept design through construction, to commissioning and handover. You will be relied on as a subject matter expert in the electrical engineering field. At Amazon we highly support continued learning opportunities and focus on continued employee development.
You must be able to work within a team and depend on others to accomplish the required work. As an electrical engineer at Amazon you will be working with other internal groups as well as external groups including utilities, manufacturers, vendors, consultants and contractors.
Amazon has a global presence and following COVID travel restrictions a 25% travel will be expected as part of this role. Projects will be throughout the region and a degree of international travel and support will be necessary.
We are the leaders in our industry. We always strive to improve in every aspect of our business. Continuous improvement through Lean Engineering practices is fundamental to our business. As an engineer within our team you will spend a regular part of your time analyzing and improving every aspect of our value stream.
The Electrical Engineer will be responsible for the following:
• Work with internal teams to understand and respond to evolving user requirements.
• Lead Data center electrical designs in collaboration with other disciplines to create a co-ordinated construction document set.
• Participate in site selection reviews.
• Critical Data Center equipment design including site-wide MV infrastructure, Generators, Uninterruptible Power Supplies, Switchgear, Transformers and Earthing.
• Creation of designs which meet or exceed our quality requirements and fall within our budgetary requirements.
• Work with regional vendors and manufacturers to specify the appropriate electrical equipment.
• Work with local utilities to understand and define site utility requirements.
• Work with local agencies having jurisdiction to ensure compliance with IEC requirements, the various APAC wide design codes and other juristictional requirements.
• Review and approval of equipment submittals.
• Define project scope and provide technical support for information requests prior to, and during construction phases.
• Work with commissioning teams to properly test and validate installation, operation, and performance of electrical systems.
• Ability to work on concurrent projects in multiple geographical regions.
• Travel to sites for site review and work with onsite field engineers, as well as provide engineering evaluations, electrical systems audits, and startup as needed.
• Be a leader within the global group as well as within internal and external teams that support Amazon's data centers.
• Having fun and offering creative, out of the box solutions.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Degree in an Electrical Engineering.
• Cumulative 6+ years of experience with mission critical electrical design.
• Comprehensive understanding of the various code requirements across the APAC region.
• Fundamental understanding of critical MV and LV electrical equipment.
• Possess leadership and problem solving skills.
• Be a motivated, highly dependable individual.
• Ability to research new designs, technologies, and construction methods of data center equipment and facilities.
• Ability to carry new design concepts through exploration, development, and into deployment/construction.
• An ability and willingness to think outside of the box to find creative and innovative solutions to reduce costs with no impact on quality, reliability, or maintainability.
• The ability to perform complex business case analysis to justify technical decisions and present the justification to management in a high level review.
• Possess excellent communication skills, attention to detail, maintain high quality standards.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Chartered Engineer
• Master's degree in an Electrical Engineering.
• 3 years of experience directly related to data center or mission critical facility design.
• Detailed understanding of MV system modelling, relays, protections schemes, circuit breakers, power and distribution transformers electrical switchgear, grounding and earthing.
• Previous consultant negotiation and management skills associated with design, construction and project execution.
• Experience with fast track design/build projects and or multiple significant upgrade projects.
• Experience with large scale technical operations or large-scale compute farms.
• Knowledge of building codes and regulations.