Director: Business Design
At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you've never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world's most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
We are searching for an experienced Director in Business Design to join our team on a 1-year maternity contract. Using your design expertise and human focussed approached, you'll support the growth of IBM's internal teams. You will be an organized go-getter with solid experience developing key insights about diverse audiences and able to do segmentation by needs. As part of a multi-disciplinary team, you will undertake research with a range of end users to better understand their needs, and their relationship with the various factors that influence their environment. You are a quick learner, enthusiastic, detail-oriented and collaborative—ready to roll up your sleeves and join a team that's helping to bring human-centred design to the world's most vital industries. What will I be doing day to day?
What skills and experience do I need to apply?
- Join a high performing product squad and be responsible for the User across all stages of product development, ultimately ensuring there is 'no bias' in the User research and product design.
- Conduct research across the various forms including review of reports, previous experiments undertaken by various experts in the sector—to come to a point of view around what we know, where there may be bias and where we still have questions
- Structure appropriate forms of User research based on the degree of unknowns and lead the product squad through fieldwork, analysis of findings and insight development
- Provide deliverables, reports, presentations, and/or videos to document and bring to life insights in an engaging and inspiring way
- Oversee the product design process to ensure the squad adheres to the research findings and help remove 'bias' in design o Work with cross-capability teams of UI and Service Designers, Product Engineers, Business Leads, and SMEs to create and manage a product's lifecycle
- Lead and mentor a team of designers (Researchers, UX/UI, Service Designers, Organisational Designers, Front-end Devs) working across multiple initiatives, providing training and mentorship as you lead the IBM Design Chapter in Perth.
- Help grow the community and practice of design at IBM Perth and play a key role in recruiting designers
- Senior, 15+ years' experience - ideally in a start-up environment or other comparable exposure
- 10+ years working in Service Design or organisational design departments
- Method experience: Design Thinking, Lean Start-up, Lean UX, Design Sprints and Agile.
- Qual/Quant/Behaviourial research experience with a proven ability to scope research, lead fieldwork, conduct interviews, perform desktop research, lead synthesis and communicate findings to stakeholders
- Experience recruiting and interviewing research participants within an organisation and its external customers
- Ability to synthesize research findings to uncover and articulate insights that will inform and inspire design
- Ability to influence and build relationships with senior executives
- Exceptional communication and storytelling skills; fluency and confidence in inspiring teammates and partners with user-driven rationale
- Ability to work flexibly and efficiently, exercising a balance between research rigor and speed; we are looking for people who can maintain no bias throughout, but who also experiment in their approach and methodology.
- Experience working in a Product Squad, Start-up or cross-functional team.
Candidates must also present a Porfolio of their work to demonstrate their ability. IBM welcomes, includes, values and respects everyone. We celebrate diversity in all forms. Our culture is rich and intentionally inclusive.
- Executional skills in Mural, Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, InVision, Keynote, research survey tools, and other design software tools. This is a hands on role and proficiency in any of the above is expected
- Experience running remote research and workshops
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
About Business Unit
IBM Services is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants that design, build, and run foundational systems and services that is the backbone of the world's economy. IBM Services partners with the world's leading companies in over 170 countries to build smarter businesses by reimagining and reinventing through technology, with its outcome-focused methodologies, industry-leading portfolio and world class research and operations expertise leading to results-driven innovation and enduring excellence.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you're looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities - where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust - where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM's greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.