DevOps Engineer- Network Scaling and Automation
DESCRIPTION Amazon Web Services (AWS) is looking for a Systems Development Engineer for the AWS Network organization. This position is located in Sydney, Australia and working in the heart of AWS global network. The engineers within our organization are instrumental in allowing us drive the stability and sustainability of our next-generation networks and to discover innovative ways to automate and scale our network.
AWS is looking for an engineer to support services that provide the first pillar of a framework to manage many thousands of network devices through software. Indirectly, our goal is to eliminate human intervention and errors from network engineering and network build processes by building tools and systems to successfully manage thousands of heterogeneous devices in dozens of data centers across the world. In this role, you will work on a team with network development engineers to troubleshoot, maintain, and grow a globally distributed specialized network deployment systems.
Systems Development Engineers are expected to develop best practices, refine operational procedures and constantly innovate proactively. You will continuously identify areas of growth within the existing frameworks, tools and processes to develop further technical mechanisms to reduce waste and continuously improve.
Our ideal candidate is highly autonomous, very detail oriented, possesses strong written and verbal communication skills and has significant experience working at scale. Systems Development Engineers work hand-in-hand with Software Development and Network Deployment teams to invent new ways of deploying, scaling and operating Amazon's Next-Generation Network while never losing sight of the high security bar our customers demand.
• Be part of the team that shapes the Automation future in Networking
• Use and develop tools and process that collect and rationalize data from different sources
• Use and develop tools and frameworks to reduce our operations workload
• Participate in an on call rotation with your team
• Work closely with our Network Engineering teams to ensure fast, smooth software roll-outs
• Lead and ensure on-time delivery of our expansions and region builds
• Identify and troubleshoot recurring platform issues with effective escalation of senior-level engineering teams
• Contribute to documentation, process and procedures
• Be involved in the formulation of a structured training
• Design and recommend optimization for service delivery and fleets
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • 3+ years relevant work experience
• Experience deploying and operating Linux or other UNIX variants in a datacenter environment.
• Experience with server hardware management across multiple vendors.
• Experience in automation via shell scripting and Perl programming.
• Knowledge of standard internet protocols (Ethernet, ARP, IP, ICMP, UDP, TCP, SSL, DNS, HTTP, etc.)
• Previous experience with network automation (e.g. automated provisioning and remote configuration of switches and routers; flow-based analysis and predictive modeling of traffic in dynamic routing environments.)
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • A background in large-scale network design is highly desired.
• Strong IP networking fundamentals and experience with the application of IP protocols
• Understand how commodity servers, operating systems and network devices function, perform and scale
• Networking protocols: A basic understanding of the TCP/IP Networking Stack (L1-L4) is desirable.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status.