Design Manager, Third Party Developer Experience
Atlassian is one of the fastest growing software companies in the world, with millions of users across our products (Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, and Trello, to name just a few). We're making a substantial investment in experience design, endeavouring to make Atlassian products essential for all teams. We're expanding our global design organisation and searching for passionate, talented designers to help us.
Are you a design leader with the passion for designing developer experiences? We are looking for a leader for an exciting new project as part of our Ecosystem Platform design team.
For many years now, the Atlassian Ecosystem has offered ways of extending our core products with thousands of helpful apps. These apps need to be created by someone first, of course - and that's where you come in. Our new offering, 'Forge' is all about creating a new cutting-edge way of writing apps with minimal effort, while running them as safely and performantly as we run our core products. There are lots and lots of facets to this challenge: there's a large documentation space to design, on boarding experiences to think about, learning paths to shape, CLI tools, in-product discovery, and everything else in a complete software lifecycle! The target audience is technical, and you need to embrace that while balancing it out with general design processes and techniques.
You'll begin by leading a small team (2-4) of designers in your efforts to provide the best developer experience possible. You'll be taking your place in the Forge leadership team, often contributing to, and sometimes even leading, key components of this effort. This is an excellent opportunity with lots of internal and external excitement around it.
As a Design Manager at Atlassian, you will:
- Be a strategic partner in and participant of the Ecosystem Platform leadership team, working closely with leaders from other disciplines (engineering, product management, etc.) to define the product strategy and roadmap for the Ecosystem Platform team.
- Own the overall user experience quality for third party developers using Forge as a new part of the Atlassian Ecosystem, continuing to build on existing foundations as well as envisioning its future. This includes improving developer.atlassian.com , designing aspects of the actual coding experience, discovery, and many other facets of being successful as an ecosystem provider in a competitive market on a global scale.
- Lead and manage a small team of talented and high-performing designers in Sydney. With a passion for developing others, you'll coach and inspire your team towards success and cohesion.
- Be a tireless innovator. With a pulse on the constantly changing strategy and trends in product design, you will help your team anticipate and adjust to new challenges and ensure constant innovation within your org.
To be successful in this role, ideally:
The Atlassian Design team:
- You have 10+ years of professional UX design experience
- You have experience leading the design of a technical product for a professional developer audience
- You'll harness your significant experience (5+ years) leading and managing a team of senior-level designers
- You feel comfortable interacting with a very technical audience, and might have even done a bit of coding on the side (beyond HTML/CSS), or at least have a good understanding of the underlying concepts
- You feel passionate about taking part in, and improving all facets of our developer experience, like interacting with the community for help and feedback, traveling to our developer conferences, educating the rest of the Atlassian design team on the advances in your field, etc.
- You show great facilitation skills and a track record of collaborating with other functions, like engineering and product.
Designers at Atlassian are responsible for the complete user experience, from early stage research and ideation, through implementation and iteration based on key success metrics. We're dedicated to agile methodology and are believers in 'lean', which means we avoid documentation for documentation's sake. Committed to creating the best experience for our users, we do our very best at all times to validate assumptions with various types of testing.
For more insight into how our design team works, visit here: https://medium.com/designing-atlassian More about our benefits
Whether you work in an office or a distributed team, Atlassian is highly collaborative and yes, fun! To support you at work (and play) we offer some fantastic perks: ample time off to relax and recharge, flexible working options, five paid volunteer days a year for your favourite cause, an annual allowance to support your learning & growth, unique ShipIt days, a company paid trip after five years and lots more. More about Atlassian
Creating software that empowers everyone from small startups to the who's who of tech is why we're here. We build tools like Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, and Trello to help teams across the world become more nimble, creative, and aligned-collaboration is the heart of every product we dream of at Atlassian. From Amsterdam and Austin, to Sydney and San Francisco, we're looking for people who want to write the future and who believe that we can accomplish so much more together than apart. At Atlassian, we're committed to an environment where everyone has the autonomy and freedom to thrive, as well as the support of like-minded colleagues who are motivated by a common goal to: Unleash the potential of every team . Additional Information
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.