Database Engineer - AWS, Amazon Redshift
DESCRIPTION Amazon Web Services (AWS) provides companies of all sizes with an infrastructure web services platform in the cloud. With AWS, you can requisition compute power, storage, and other services - paying as you go for only the resources you need. Amazon Redshift is rapidly growing, fast and powerful, fully managed, petabyte-scale data warehouse service in the cloud. It enables customers to dramatically increase their query performance when analyzing virtually any size data set using the same SQL-based business intelligence tools they use today. Amazon Redshift manages all the work needed to set up, operate, and scale a data warehouse, from provisioning capacity and installing software to monitoring and backing up the cluster, to applying patches and upgrades. By automating these labor-intensive tasks, Amazon Redshift enables customers to spend their time focusing on their data and business insights, rather than on procuring and managing infrastructure.
Joining the Amazon Redshift team gives you the opportunity to:
• Solve challenging problems that will revolutionize database computing in the cloud
• Build a quality product that will leverage the scale of resources available in the cloud
• Work for a company that's a recognized leader in the cloud computing space
• Be involved in the fast growing, big data space
We are looking for Database Engineers that are passionate about data warehousing, and love to work with customers to help them with database design, usage patterns and performance.
We expect candidates to:
• Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of database systems internals including relational database design and distributed databases/MPP architectures
• Lead strategic data architecture & database design discussions with customers
• Drive and oversee workload analysis, performance benchmarking and troubleshooting efforts with customers in their environments
• Clearly communicate deep technical topics to customers
• Influence the engineering team roadmap towards building a product that is scalable, easy to use and build on, and addresses customer needs
• Conduct POC's with customers in competitive situations
• Leverage good coding/scripting skills to automate tasks and improve workload analysis mechanisms
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience
• 3+ years professional experience in software development
• Advanced SQL coding, tuning and query optimization
• Possess excellent communication skills and experience working with external customers (both technical and non-technical audiences)
• Experience troubleshooting applications and system performance and complex, production software issues
• Ability to tune databases based on explain plans overall system behavior. Ability to tune complex workloads.
• Ability to drive tasks to completion and take ownership of projects
• Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Knowledge of database internals as it relates to query and system performance and tuning
• Understanding of overall system architecture, scalability, reliability, and performance in a database environment
• Development skills are highly desirable
• Experience designing and leading database performance benchmarks.
• Experience with large-scale data analytics and data warehousing
• Masters or PhD in Computer Science