Data Engineer - Sydney - 24 months Fixed Term Hire
At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you've never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world's most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities Data Engineer - Sydney - 24 months Fixed Term Hire
IBM Global Business Services (GBS) is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants enabling enterprises to make smarter decisions and providing unparalleled client and consumer experiences in cognitive, data analytics, cloud technology and mobile app development.
With global reach, outcome-focused methodologies and deep industry expertise, IBM GBS empowers clients to digitally reinvent their business and get the competitive edge in the cognitive era in over 170 countries.
Locally, we are looking for a Data Engineer to join our growing team of data and analytics experts in the data Platform Services Practice. The role requires expanding and optimising client's data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimising data flows and collection for cross functional teams.
The ideal candidate is an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimising data systems and building them from the ground up.
The Data Engineer will support our software developers, database architects, data analysts and data scientists on client projects and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects.
They must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products.
The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of optimising or re-designing our clients' data architecture to support the next generation of products and data initiatives. Responsibilities for Data Engineer
Qualifications for Data Engineer
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture,
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimising data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources.
- Build analytics tools that utilise the data pipeline to provide actionable insights to meet client key business performance metrics.
- Work with IBM and client stakeholders including the Project Managers, Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Develops applications on Data and Cognitive technologies including API development
- Expected to have traditional Application Development background along with knowledge of Analytics libraries, open-source Natural Language Processing, statistical and data computing libraries.
- Strong technical abilities to understand, design, write and debug complex code.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience building and optimising data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable data stores.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- We are looking for a candidate with 4+ years of experience in a Data Engineer role.
- Skills include Python, Spark, Kafka, Hadoop, NoSQL, HBase, HIVE, PIG, C++, SQL, Linux, Java, EAI, SOA, CEP, HDFS, ETL
Ready to join us?
- Ability to travel extensively, at short notices and perhaps extended time periods
- Must have self-drive to lead initiatives and multitask
- Permanent residency to live and work in Australia
To be part of a diverse and global team of thinkers and leaders - people who want to make an impact, share their expertise and collaborate with some of the world's top business and technology professionals. Keep reading.
Compensation package from $82,320 (full-time equivalent inclusive of superannuation) and will be determined based on successful candidates relevant skills and experience Sign Me Up!
If you tick these boxes and are ready to start your next challenge with a career at IBM - click "Apply" today. To find out more, head to www.ibm.com.au/careers
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise