Data Center Engineer
DESCRIPTION APAC Data Center Edge Operations is seeking a passionate, results oriented engineer to drive operational excellence in its colocation based data center operations. This position serves as a technical resource to support Amazon Web Services (AWS) within its geographically distributed Edge Operations. The position will help ensure overall availability and reliability to meet or exceed the defined service level expectations of data center operations.
The Data Center Engineer will be responsible for overseeing site qualification and selection. In addition the engineer will be responsible for overseeing the operation and maintenance of all electrical, mechanical, and HVAC equipment in multiple colocation data centers. This equipment supports mission-critical servers and networking equipment with high up-time expectations. The Data Center Engineer will continue to maintain high reliability and performance while keeping operating costs in facilities at a minimum. Where appropriate, the engineer will drive innovation cooperatively with the colocation facility to reduce operational costs.
The Data Center Engineer is Amazon's front line technical subject matter experts when it comes to hands-on electrical and mechanical equipment operations and troubleshooting. They will ensure the ongoing maintenance and operations of Data Center Operation's Mission Critical Facilities, which includes stand-by diesel generators and related fuel systems, 3 phase electrical systems that include but not limited to switchgear, UPSs, PDUs, batteries and associated systems, CRAC, centrifugal chillers, cooling towers/water chemical system, air handlers and associated systems, pumps, & motors.
- Supervise, advise and consult with Colocation operators performing servicing or preventive maintenance.
- Assist in performing root cause analysis for operational issues.
-Perform periodic on site assessments and audits of operations, electrical, and mechanical systems
-Supervise the design and implementation of retrofits of existing facilities
- Qualify new sites for new deployments
- Drive operational excellence in all data center sites
- Perform first level trouble-shooting for facility and rack level events.
- Approval of all CMs (Change Management Tasks) to enable changes and maintenance at sites
- Perform basic support concepts such as ticketing systems, root cause analysis, and task prioritization.
-Must have strong ability to solve complex technical problems on electrical and/or mechanical side
-Ability to lead technically in challenging situations and resolve issues
-Ability to coach and mentor other technical team members
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or relevant discipline + 3 years of post-degree work experience.
• Alternate to the engineering degree - 10+ years of maintenance/design experience.
• Ability to demonstrate in depth technical excellence in the design, maintenance and operation of critical electrical and HVAC systems.
• Thorough understanding of thermodynamic assessments of cooling system capacity vs projected heat load.
• Ability to deep dive electrical lineups including electrical load/coordination studies to assess for ongoing operational risks and failure modes
• Ability to oversee multiple geographically separated locations including up to 50% travel
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong attention to detail.• Ability to prioritize in complex, fast-paced environment
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • 5+ years Data Center Design/Operations experience or other experience in 24X7 mission critical industries/facilities
• Masters Degree in EE or ME or PE licensure
• Knowledge of Data center security standards and requirements
• Strong leadership and organizational skills.
• Fundamental knowledge of network design and layout as well as low voltage (copper/ fiber) cabling