Assistant Portfolio Manager, Active Quantitative Equity, Officer
State Street Australia Overview
State Street Global Advisors (SSGA) is a global leader in institutional asset management, and is the investment management arm of State Street Corporation, one of the world’s leading providers of financial services to institutions. State Street Global Advisors (SSGA) is a global leader in institutional asset management, entrusted with more than $2.4 trillion in assets.
A pioneer in index investing, SSGA today has one of the most comprehensive product and solutions offerings in the industry, with capabilities spanning both traditional and non-traditional asset classes across the full range of active and index investing disciplines. The firm also provides industry-leading currency exposure, risk and cash management to some of the world’s largest institutions.
SSGA’s Active Quantitative Equity (AQE) team has a heritage spanning more than 30 years, AUM of more than USD$30B, and a diverse team of more than 40 people located in North America, Europe and Australia. The team has delivered continuous innovation and breadth in quantitative equity investing, from tightly controlled enhanced strategies, right up the active risk spectrum to benchmark unaware and short enabled strategies.
The AQE team located in Sydney focusses on Australian and Asia-Pacific equity portfolios, also spanning the active risk spectrum. The team is responsible for award-winning strategies and is experiencing fast growth in AUM, due to their success. Their profile in local markets has also strengthened significantly in recent years. The team is driven to deliver outcomes that match with investor objectives of both return and risk.
This position is for an assistant Portfolio Manager within the AQE team based in Sydney. Reporting to the Head of Active Quantitative Equities, Asia-Pacific, you be a part of the investment team responsible for supporting the management process for a range of different portfolios. Over time you will become proficient in managing day-to-day aspects of the process, including portfolio monitoring, cash-flows, risk analysis and attribution and liaising with other internal teams throughout the organisation.
- Monitoring and risk analysis of portfolios, reporting on performance and attribution.
- Data analysis, processing and interpretation of return and risk model outputs.
- Build tools to help streamline processes and reporting on the desk.
- Work with the AQE team globally to provide inputs into quantitative research and model diagnostics.
- Over time, assist the portfolio managers in day-to-day responsibilities including cash flow monitoring, position monitoring, corporate actions, and subsequently in portfolio rebalancing and currency trades.
- Become familiar with local and global equity markets and the general market and economic environment. Assist with development of client reporting and marketing material.
Experience, Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree, likely in a mathematical, scientific or economics discipline.
- A quantitative approach and outlook, experience in modelling and strong analytical, programming or data science skills.
- Strong and demonstrable interest in capital markets and portfolio management.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Team player, with ability to operate independently and deliver results within clear timelines.
- Knowledge of R as a programming language, or proven aptitude to develop.
- Knowledge of the workings of Australian and other Asia Pacific equity markets would be beneficial.
- Experience in portfolio management theory and application is useful but not essential.