Amazon Web Services - Data Center Rack Operations Trainee
DESCRIPTION The Decommissioning Technical team is responsible for processing and facilitating large scale legacy Data Center equipment through a liquidation process to ensure that targeted equipment is ready to be removed from the premises. Team members will also process large volumes of customer data to ensure that all customer data is sanitized and properly managed.
Team members will be working in a team environment not only with other members of the team but also from other teams and must be able to communicate and promote cross-team functionality.
Amazon Data Centers takes customer data with the utmost importance, and selected candidates must be able to perform repetitive tasks without variance and adhere to strict Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) that ensures customer data is protected and properly handled.
Data Center Rack Operations Trainee will be responsible for:
• Decommissioning and processing of legacy hardware out of the data center facilities
• Moving/lifting packages
• Unpacking/repacking fragile electronics
• Relocating and moving of large enterprise equipment
• Operate HDD and SSD destruction machinery
• Creating/attaching labels and barcodes
• Hard drive installation and removal, and destruction
• Basic Networking removal/installation and clearing of configurations.
• Physical layer and Application layer
• Updating progress through a web ticketing system
• Reporting of processes and regular status updates
• Documenting procedures
• Escalating to senior technicians and management as needed/required
• Familiarity with basic PC components/hardware
• HDD/SSD/Flash/Removable storage media
• USB/FireWire/Esata - Ram/CPU/Motherboard/Input-Output devices
• Experience with a ticketing system is a plus but not required
• Work well with others and communicate/promote cross team functionality
• Possess excellent communication skills
• Perform duties constantly and without deviations unless otherwise instructed
• The position has a physical component and may require working in cramped spaces or elevated locations
• Relocation of Large enterprise equipment may be required, candidates must be able to document and track equipment during relocation efforts
• 6 months contract role with an opportunity to become full time employee after the training period is over.
• Amazon.com Data Centers are 24x7 environments. All interested candidates must be willing to work rotating shifts (day/night) as well as weekends. Work shifts are longer than eight hours in duration. Respond to off hour emergency calls.
• Data Center Rack Operations Trainee may also be required to wear a pager for communication, information, emergency, and on-call situations.
• Employment for all candidates is contingent upon pass a background check.
• Travel between sites/locations
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Basic understanding of computer hardware and components
• A highly motivated, dependable individual
• Possess a valid driver's license and have their own vehicle.
• Have strong attention to detail, maintain high quality standards
• Learn quickly
• Highly motivated
• Able to work with minimal supervision
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Previous experience working on IT equipment (racking & stacking gear, cable management, building computers, troubleshooting PC/Desktops/Laptops)
• Previous experience migrating and decommissioning of data center assets a plus.
• Cisco switch configurations
• Linux Physical Requirements for the Data Center Operations
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age. Amazon provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.