Technical Lead, Data Engineer
Vanguard Australia has been helping investors achieve their long-term financial goals for over 20 years. Serving institutional and individual clients, and financial advisers, we offer investment solutions that are low-cost, diversified and robust through time.
With more than AUD $10 trillion in assets under management Vanguard is one of the world's largest global investment management companies. In Australia we partner with institutional clients, financial advisers and individual investors to offer low-cost investment solutions. Our comprehensive range of managed funds, exchange traded funds (ETFs) and tailored investment solutions are built to support long-term investment success for our clients. Our Team & Opportunity
The Investment Management Systems team services all our Investment Management Group, consisting of the Equity Investment Group, Fixed Income Investment Group, Capital Markets, Investment Strategy Group, as well as external clients and vendors throughout the Asia-Pac region.
The ISG Value Stream in Australia is responsible for providing software development and support services for in the research analytics and research insights space that support the global ISG business. This team is a fully stacked team of 7 consisting of data engineers, automation engineers, scrum master and a tech lead. Core Accountabilities
What We Are Looking For
- Provides senior level IT technical lead services and direction for software, middleware projects on a single platform. Provides technical expertise in systems, technical infrastructure, tools, modelling, external interfaces, and other areas. Completes complex development, design, implementation, architecture design specification, and maintenance activities. Presents architecture and security design to design committees for approval.
- Ensures the viability of IT deliverables. Recommends development options, including design, build/buy, and vendor purchase. Conducts testing, including functionality, technical limitations, and security.
- Identifies potential solutions, including the cost/benefit of each option. Approves solutions proposed by team members. Resolves complex issues uncovered by testers and internal clients.
- Communicates with team manager on a frequent basis. Identifies tasks and issues that may have an impact on service levels or schedules. Provides realistic task and cost estimates. Screens resumes, interviews, makes hiring and assignment recommendations, and writes reviews.
- Maintains current knowledge of IT development methodology, architecture design, and technical standards. Mentors IT staff with less experience and identifies training needs.
- Communicates with technical leads, IT groups, and clients so they understand the project's technical implications, dependencies, and potential conflicts. Evaluates the impacts of change requests on own/shared technologies.
- Reviews and approves documentation and diagrams created by IT team members, (e.g., system specifications). Writes documentation, including technical standards and processes.
- If required, this staff member's duties will include business liaisons to write the functional requirements. In the absence of the project manager, performs this staff member's duties, including coordinating daily systems analysis and development activities. Follow technology acceptance in Vanguard and attend technology reviews and security audits.
- Lead from the front and work alongside the wider team delivering quality and clean code constantly delivering key features. (Hands-on component circa 25% to 50% of your time).
- Provide quality assurance methodology and Inspections
- Introduce new technologies and products for consideration
Specialization that will make an impact:
- Strong working experience with full stack progressive web/enterprise/cloud/desktop technologies.
- A passionate Lead Developer with broad knowledge in various methodology practices and concepts: full product life cycle, Agile methodology, DevSecOps principals etc
- Experience in Technical Leadership, Architecture, big data speciality and design direction to project teams.
- Advanced knowledge of one or more development tools and programming languages:
- Java 8 and/or 9 with Spring Boot, Spring Integration, JAX-RS, Spring Batch and Spring Security is highly regarded.
- Advanced knowledge of one or more testing tools, performance tools, and scripting languages such as JMeter, Pytest, jasmine, karma, protractor, JUnit, selenium, cucumber
- Advanced knowledge on CI/CD, Git/GitHub, Bamboo/Jenkins, Maven, NPM/Yarn, Docker
- Need to understand micros-services design and web development including front end frameworks such as Angular and React.
- Need to be fluent in enterprise security practices such as OKTA and SiteMinder
- Need to be skilled on cloud data architectures and Big Data Analytics in AWS Stack (Athena, SageMaker, Glue, Kinesis, Data pipeline, Step functions, Lambda, EMR, S3, DynamoDB, Postgres, RDS, Hive, Cloud Formation).
- Scripting knowledge of UNIX and Windows systems, e.g. Bash and PowerShell.
- Great team player and knowledge of working with high performing teams
- Self-Starter, be comfortable with ambiguity and demonstrable learning agility
- Ability to translate business needs to system and software requirements
- Comfortable with using SaaS products and integration, e.g. Yellow messenger Chatbot, Appian platform
- Knowledge of xDD principles and methodology.
- Experience with Data Visualization tools (Tableau is Preferred).
- Knowledge of the financial services industry particularly Investment Management preferred.
- Experience in setting up, operating, and monitoring a technical platform and its associated technologies.
- Capability to question the status quo, challenge yourself and the business on the value that will be delivered to our customers.
- Working to succeed as one team by providing technical mentoring and guidance, driving best of breed engineering practices relevant to the work, and uplifting technical ways of working.
- Lead issue resolution, identifying root cause and implementing solutions.
- Experience on Boomi, Oracle DB, SAS, R, or MATLAB is nice to have.
- Experience in Data Modelling and Business intelligence systems design and implementation.
- Experience of performance and stress testing as well as chaos engineering and site reliability engineering (SRE).
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.