Software Development Engineer
DESCRIPTION The AWS Professional Services Customer Engineering (CE) team force-multiplies our largest enterprise customers by developing and delivering production-ready custom software and infrastructure.
We are looking for customer obsessed Software Engineers to join us develop new, challenging cloud-native software and infrastructure that our customers will integrate into their own offerings as well as help convey Amazon development practices to our customers.
As a Senior SDE, you will lead the development of a foundational technical framework for AWS customers. While ensuring that the underlying framework is robust and scalable, you will also lead the design and implementation of core products and features on top of it.
As members of AWS Professional Services we are not stewards of a single service, but of the entire AWS platform and keeping abreast of the ever-widening stream of platform improvements and new service. The candidate should come prepared with extensive experience in OO software design and implementation, strong knowledge of web protocols, and an in-depth knowledge of Linux/Unix tools and architecture, preferably in Java, Python and/or Node, but also be willing to learn and be curious as necessary. Experience with web-based applications and/or web services-based applications, especially at massive scale and in a DevOps environment, are very applicable.
• Lead the development of a foundational technical framework for AWS customers.
• Implement best practices in modern software engineering: design, implementation, testing, version control, documentation, deployment, monitoring and operations
• Write high quality code that is robust and can be delivered and maintained by customers
• Build flexible systems choosing simple, straightforward solutions over more complex ones
• Possess self-drive to dive deep and maintain progress even in the face of ambiguity and imperfect knowledge (avoid "analysis paralysis")
• Encourage and support knowledge-sharing within team and external groups
• Communicate clearly both verbally and in writing, within team and external groups
• Actively participate in hiring and mentoring the very best
• Obtain/maintain AWS Certifications
• Occasional customer travel (<20%)
We are open to this role being based in any major city in Australia / New Zealand.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • 7+ years of non-internship professional software development experience with at least one modern language such as Java, Python or Node including object-oriented design
• 3+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems)
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Experience in utilizing Mobile design patterns, building mobile frameworks/SDKs, building custom UX widgets and optimizing apps for performance.
• Knowledge of Java and the JDK and Android Developers Kit. Expert knowledge of Android Architecture, performance optimization, and Security.
• Knowledge of Objective-C and/or Swift. Experience with Xcode and other associated tools.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Proficiency in design and analysis of algorithms and data structures that will operate at potentially global scale.
• Proficiency in the DevOps style of software deployment
• Proficiency in developing software in a cloud-native environment
• Knowledge of Application Security principles and how they impact development and deployment of applications.
• Experience handing off and supporting maintainable code artifacts
• Experience in an agile development environment
• Experience with Cloud Operational Excellence practices