Senior Legal Counsel & Privacy Officer
- Work for Australia's largest Super fund
- Full time, permanent position based in the Melbourne CBD
- Be part of a globally expanding company
AustralianSuper is for all Australians and businesses; we put members first in everything we do with the goal of helping to create the best possible retirement outcome. More than 2 million members trust us to invest more than $170 billion on their behalf. Here's where you come in
To support the growth of AustralianSuper we are seeking a Senior Legal Counsel & Privacy Officer to join our in-house legal team. This role represents an outstanding opportunity to lead effective privacy management through advice, guidance and training to the organisation, and to ensure all privacy legal risk is managed effectively within the organisation. Some of your key responsibilities will be:
- Resolving escalated privacy complaints, including verbal and written correspondence directly with our members, and resolution through internal and external dispute resolution.
- Providing advice on the general application of privacy law to our organisation's activities.
- Undertaking all activities relating to the development, implementation, communication, maintenance and adherence to our organisation's policies and procedures in compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements in Australia and other relevant jurisdictions, including the UK and EU.
- Assessing and responding to all privacy breaches and managing all eligible data breaches in accordance with the Notifiable Data Breach Scheme.
- Developing and providing privacy training to the Trustee's staff and other stakeholders to enhance privacy awareness and decision making in relation to privacy.
- Liaising with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (Australia), the Australian Communications and Media Authority and privacy regulators in overseas jurisdictions as applicable, such as the Information Commissioner's Office in the UK.
- Maintaining current knowledge of all applicable privacy laws and standards in Australia and international jurisdictions in which AustralianSuper operates, and monitoring advancements in information privacy technologies to ensure organisational adaptation and compliance.
To be successful in this role, you will be at a Senior Associate level or above in private practice or at a Senior Legal Counsel level (or above) in an in-house role. You will also need extensive experience in privacy law.
You are comfortable working co-operatively with legal colleagues as part of a small dynamic team. At the same time, the role requires you to work autonomously and proactively and to set your own work plan in order to meet deadlines whilst being able to provide commercially focused legal advice and support.
The successful candidate will have superior drafting, negotiating and written communication skills along with interpersonal skills and communication skills, including the ability to empathise and communicate with our members. What's next
We believe embracing diversity in thought and perspective helps introduce new and better ways of doing business, delivering better outcomes for our members. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
If you would like the opportunity to work in a challenging, growing and rapidly evolving environment to deliver outstanding results that benefit members, please apply now! Agencies please note: this vacancy is being managed directly by AustralianSuper's Recruitment team. We will contact our preferred agency partners should we require additional support. Thank you .