Senior Consultant, Operations Control
Who we are
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world's most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service. What we do
Northern Trust's international business has grown dramatically over the last decade. Some of our largest clients are located in Asia and Australia, which represents a rapidly growing client base for the company. Since 1986, we have been serving clients in Asia-Pacific (APAC), including corporate pension funds, investment managers, insurance companies, government agencies, family offices and corporations. Our intricate understanding of the region allows us to provide unique insights and strategic perspectives to our clients. Currently, we have client offices in Beijing, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Singapore, Seoul, Tokyo and Kuala Lumpur. Summary
We seek a seasoned professional with extensive business and multi-disciplinary functional expertise, and a focus on proactive activity within the operations group. You will work with both direct and indirect staff, in an environment that encourages employee participation, teamwork, and communication.
The Control Consultant provides proactive leadership and guidance to partners to strengthen controls, ensure compliance and mitigate operational risk. The role will report to Manager GS Control APAC and will support Global & Business services in APAC outside India.
What you will do
- Risk and control assessment - Proactive control assessment and reviews
- Policies and risk programs - Central point of contact, consultant, independent oversight and reporting of adherence to Corporate Risk and Compliance policies
- Reporting and escalation - Independent reporting of risk and control issues for all operational functions to global services control leads and senior management
- Guide/coach/consult - Create awareness and drive promotion of stronger control environment and positive risk culture
- Perform proactive reviews for the divisions supported and identify key Control themes and trends
- Ensure operations staff receive relevant information relating to NT policies, standards and regulatory requirements
- Support in the development of controls and measures to identify excessive operational risk and/or control problems at an early stage and ensures that immediate measures are taken to maintain quality and efficiency standards.
- Ensure that current policies and procedures are in place (and are being followed) for business unit functions and are in compliance with organizational standards and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure Business Continuity requirements are adhered to, with no deviation from agreed procedures and processes.
- Should have the ability to maintain various MIS reports and should ensure timely completion of all the MIS and other ad-hoc reports to be submitted to management.
- Review any region specific regulatory issues. Make recommendations and control implementation by Business Unit.
- Provide oversight around assessing operational readiness of the business unit's ability to take on new clients, processes, or perform system migrations.
- Ability to work on ad-hoc activities.
- Objectives of the GS control function are as follows. This role would need to involve in performing most of these functions:
- Data Privacy Control standards, reviews and metrics
- Reconciliation standards and communication
- EUC standards, compliance and communication of best practices
- CASS awareness, communication and compliance metrics
- Resiliency planning
- Coordinating BCP events, Stress Tests
- Collaborate with internal Audit, Risk, Compliance and GBCRS on behalf of EO
- Work with GS Control APAC and help evolve Manila GS Control
- Critical issue management and support for Ops
- Strong Financial Services background in Operations / Risk & Control / Audit role
- Proven expertise in implementing controls
- Experience in Capital Markets / Securities Operations will be an added advantage
- Preferably CPA with audit background
- Seasoned professional with extensive business experience, multi-disciplinary functional expertise and with a focus on proactive activities within the operations group (7 years + of related business experience).