Senior Application Architect
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is looking for experienced and motivated technologists who possess a unique balance of technical depth, strong interpersonal, and business acumen to drive enterprise transformation. You will partner with customers, AWS Sales, and several other AWS teams to develop and execute highly scalable, flexible, and resilient cloud solutions that address customer migration use cases and accelerate the adoption of AWS. As trusted customer advocates, the Application Migration and Modernization Practice helps organizations understand best practices around advanced cloud-based solutions, and how to migrate and modernize existing workloads to the cloud. You will help shape and execute a strategy to deliver solutions for a broad range of customer use cases primarily from large enterprise customers. You should also have a demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, products, and technical challenges.
In this role, you would be part of leading a complex and ambitious program to build our Delivery Practice, as well as elevating the technical execution and delivery within Regions. Achieving success will require coordination across many internal AWS teams and external AWS Partners, with impact and visibility at the highest levels of the company. You'll need to make prioritization calls across the enterprise that require both keen business and technical judgment, and will also drive processes and execution goals.
The successful candidate must have exceptional problem-solving skills, strong business judgment, and demonstrated technical experience leading cross-functional teams. We are looking for a proven leader with the ability to execute both strategically and tactically, and someone who is excited to take on new, ambiguous projects. In the Application Migration and Modernization Practice, we're hiring both highly technical cloud computing consultants and experienced business focused individuals to take leadership roles to develop and execute strategies for various phases of large scale migrations for customers rapidly moving large numbers of applications onto AWS. Application Architects will be responsible for driving the methodology by which we accelerate Migration Projects for customers that are selected to participate in the migrations program. This person will work with the Global Migration Segment Teams, AWS Regional Teams and AWS Partners to identify and leverage tools and technology that will be leveraged to build a blueprint of tools and processes that can then be used to plan, execute and deliver migration projects.
Expertise - Collaborate with AWS field sales, pre-sales, training and support teams to help partners and customers learn and use AWS services such as Amazon EC2 compute, Amazon S3 storage, Amazon Simple DB/RDS databases, Amazon CloudFront CDN, Service Catalog, Marketplace etc. Extensive experience leading and controlling large scale IT projects across multiple stakeholders.
Solutions - Define and deliver on-site technical engagements with partners and customers. This includes participating in on-site visits, mapping customer business and technical requirements, and guiding the delivery of technical solutions, both AWS and AWS Partner led, designed to dig deep into the details of customer systems to be migrated to AWS.
Delivery - Engagements include working with customers and AWS Partners to discover and map hardware and software solutions on customer's premise or alternate cloud solutions in order to build migration plans to move customer workloads to AWS.
Feedback and Insights - Work with Global Migration team, AWS engineering and support teams to convey partner and customer needs and feedback as input to technology roadmaps and improving migration program success. Share real world migration challenges and recommend new capabilities that would simplify adoption and drive greater success of AWS cloud migrations.
Cross Functional - working with peer leaders in the Migrations Practice to develop cross-functional ability to augment each other's roles when necessary or so as to provide perspective for improvement. Basic Qualifications
• Customer facing experience, including discussions with senior personnel regarding trade-offs, best practices, project management and risk mitigation;
• Helping customers architect scalable, highly available application solutions that leverage AWS services;
• Architecting and developing customer applications to be cloud optimized;
• Working as a technical leader alongside customer business, development and infrastructure teams;
• Ability to gather customer requirements and deliver innovative solutions.
• Experience track record of managing and delivering large-scale IT migration projects including definition and execution of successful project controls;
• 5-7 years of implementation/consulting experience;
• Hands-on experience leading the design, development and deployment of business software at scale;
• Experience with software engineering best practices (code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, release and change management);
• Working knowledge of software development life cycle (SDLC) and agile/iterative methodologies required. Scrum Master experience a plus;
• BS level technical degree required or equivalent experience; Computer Science or Math background preferred; MS degree desired.
• Flexibility to travel to customer locations is required to sell and deliver professional services as needed. It is likely that for some periods of time one might be traveling full-time while there are other time periods with zero travel. Relocation is not required. Preferred Qualifications
• Visible IT Industry thought leadership on relevant topics related to enterprise IT solutions, COTS based applications and infrastructure;
• Experience identifying the relationships between business services, information, applications and global infrastructure assets;
• Hands on experience leading large-scale global IT transformation projects;
• Experience with design of modern, scalable delivery models for technology consulting services;
• Strong track record of implementing AWS services in a variety of distributed computing environments;
• Integration of AWS cloud services with on premise technologies from Microsoft, IBM, Oracle, HP, SAP etc;
• Vertical industry delivery experience of contemporary services and solutions;
• Demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges;
• Strong verbal and written communications skills and ability to work effectively across organizations; and
• Advanced degrees in engineering and/or business.