Legal Director - Australia
Who we are:
Established in Melbourne in 2015, Airwallex is a global payments fintech transforming the way businesses move and manage money domestically and internationally. In today's fast-changing digital era, our purpose is to empower businesses of all sizes to grow in their own markets and around the world, and by doing so, contribute to the global economy. With technology at our core, we built a proprietary global financial infrastructure platform to help businesses transact, collect and pay in any foreign currency across 130+ countries and 50+ currencies, without the constraints of the traditional global financial system. In just five years since we were founded, Airwallex has grown to become Australia's fastest-growing fintech unicorn and a well-funded international technology leader backed by world-leading investors. Our leadership, innovation and scale have been recognised and awarded by leading independent authorities, such as listing in Forbes' Cloud 100 2020, and placing in the Top 50 of KPMG's Global Fintech100 two years in a row. To support our ambitious growth plans, we're looking to expand our global teams with smart, driven and passionate individuals who are excited about joining our rocketship and taking on the challenge of a lifetime. The role:
Reporting to the Head of Legal, the Australian Legal Director will have the opportunity to help scale and lead the Australian legal team as the business rapidly expands. While the Legal team works cross-functionally to create legal strategies that facilitate the launch and growth of Airwallex products globally, this role will have a strong focus on corporate, commercial, product legal matters and regulatory strategies for Australia and regional operations. This diverse role will work across a variety of areas, primarily supporting growth activities as well as stakeholders from our Product, Strategy and Management teams, working on exciting projects to launch new products around the world.
Some examples of what you would be working on include:
- Provide practical, risk-weighted legal guidance on a wide range of legal matters related to Airwallex's products and growth activities.
- Advise on Australian regulation applicable to payments products offered including open banking and e-money regulations.
- Prepare and update internal Product Legal Playbooks and the Legal Wiki with product related regulatory information and positions.
- Draft and amend customer facing template documents such as customer contracts, privacy policies and regulatory disclosures.
- Negotiate banking agreements, technology license agreements and other contracts related to Airwallex's products.
- Participate in ideation sessions to create amazing product experiences for Airwallex's customers that comply with the law.
- Partner with the broader team to share information about the regulatory environment to facilitate efficient and transparent legal support across the business.
Who you are:
- You lean in - You are proactive with business partners to identify the important items in the regulatory roadmap and keep pace with a fast-moving business
- You are legally minded - You possess strong academics, drafting skills and are keen to learn, with a desire to develop your skills and knowledge in the FinTech industry
- You improve - You are naturally drawn to process improvement with the ability to identify inefficiencies and uplift processes accordingly
- You are heard - You display strong communication skills which allows you to communicate effectively with stakeholders from various departments
- You are a team player - You build rapport and become a vital part of a small and fast-paced team
- You are a doer - You conduct yourself in an autonomous way to deliver on the above...a key skill in any FinTech
Skills and experience you will bring:
- 10+ years of legal experience
- Bachelor of Laws, Juris Doctor and/or Master of Laws
- Practising certificate in Australia
- A keen interest in financial services regulation and the fintech industry
- Sound knowledge of AFSL
- Experience in payments and financial products (Issuing and acquiring)
At Airwallex we like to ensure we create the best environment for our people providing a collaborative open office space, PlayStation and table tennis to unwind, a fully stocked kitchen which includes breakfast, snacks, fruit, beers, you name it! We also organise regular team building events, encourage flexible/remote working and offer learning and development opportunities. Most importantly, we give our people the freedom to be creative.
Airwallex is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and anyone seeking employment at Airwallex is considered based on merit, qualifications, competence and talent. We don't regard colour, religion, race, national origin, sexual orientation, ancestry, citizenship, sex, marital or family status, disability, gender, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.