Financial Crime Compliance Consultant
Who we are
Our core principles of service, expertise and integrity have guided us from our start as a Chicago bank in 1889 to our position as a multi-faceted global financial services provider. Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally.
Our focus on employee work/life balance, diversity, career mobility and unique opportunities are among the reasons we've been named one of America's Best Large Employers and recognized as an employer of choice around the world. What we do
Northern Trust's international business has grown dramatically over the last decade. Some of our largest clients are located in Asia and Australia, which represents a rapidly growing client base for the company. Our intricate understanding of the region allows us to provide unique insights and strategic perspectives to our clients. Currently, we have client offices in Beijing, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Singapore, Seoul, Tokyo and Kuala Lumpur.
Northern Trust is proud to serve the Australian community with global capabilities, meaningful insights and exceptional service. Institutional clients across Asia Pacific have relied on Northern Trust for effective solutions and ethical guidance across asset servicing and asset management since 1986. What you will do
AML Compliance forms part of Global Compliance function and is entrusted with ensuring identification, risk assessment and monitoring of all our regulatory obligations in the locations we operate. In this newly created role, the Financial Crime Consultant will report into the Australia MLRO and work with the Australian business partners and compliance to ensure adherence to Australian AML/CTF, Sanctions and Anti-Bribery and Corruption requirements. This role will work closely with the Australia MLRO, APAC Regional Head of Anti-Financial Crime, other MRLOs in at Northern Trust, and Financial Crime utility teams in Manila and Limerick.
As part of the Asia Pacific Compliance team, this role is in the second line of defence and will assist in the implementation of the Northern Trust Compliance model. The Compliance function is responsible for ongoing oversight and reporting regarding regulatory obligations to senior compliance and business management. DUTIES:
- Maintain Australian policies and procedures for countering financial crime, including money laundering, sanctions, politically exposed persons and anti-bribery and corruption.
- Advise Australian management and business partners on applicable laws, regulations, rules, standards and best practices which may impact their business
- Partner with Australian management and business partners to implement anti-financial crime compliance programs, including training on such programs
- Ensure adherence to IFTI reporting requirements.
- Identify, document and drive Australian business acceptance of anti-financial crimes risks
- Embed framework for identifying and documenting all local anti-financial crime obligations
- Monitor, undertake impact assessment and implement financial crime regulatory changes in Australia
- Conduct annual AML and Sanctions Enterprise Wide Risk Assessments for Australia
- Review and agree on suspicious transaction monitoring conducted by a centralized team
- Assist to develop and conduct other anti-financial crime monitoring for the Australian business
- Identify areas for control enhancement in either the first or second line of defense
- Ensure adherence to global requirements regarding rules mapping, risk assessments, monitoring, and regulatory change
- Work in partnership with the wider Compliance, Anti-Financial Crime, Risk and Controls teams
- May draft policies and procedures for Australian and APAC businesses, including for internal anti-financial crime / compliance use
- Produce and analyze Compliance reports and data for internal committees and boards
- Lead projects and increase understanding of project management methodologies
- Fluent in English and ability to communicate in a clear, concise and effective manner (verbal and written)
- Understanding of local AML/CTF and Sanctions legislation and requirements
- Experience implementing Australia's anti-money laundering and other anti-financial crime laws and regulations including maintenance of the AML/CTF Program
- Knowledge of Custody, Payments, Asset Servicing, FX, Fund Administration, Securities Lending, Brokerage, Asset Management Businesses
- Ability to collaborate and maintain positive partnerships with business partners while at the same time remaining objective, with an ability to make an independent assessment of the risk environment and business challenges, and work toward practical risk mitigation actions
- Proven track record in making risk informed judgements, based on sometimes limited and/or ambiguous information, and leading facilitation of issue resolution
- ACAMS or other relevant certification preferred
- Experience providing compliance advisory and operational support
- Strong organisational skills, a collaborative approach to work, with strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to use initiative and work unsupervised in a proactive manner
- 6+ years of related experience
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018. In Australia, we are actively involved in many ways with both community and diversity organisations, which includes charity participation days. For families we offer a very generous parental leave scheme, and all staff have access to subsidised health insurance if they choose.
We'd love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world's most admired and ethical companies. Build your career with us and apply today!
- Want to learn more about our company? Visit northerntrust.com
- We are a leading global financial institution- Click here to check out our company accolades!
For a private discussion please contact Gez Williams on +61 3 9935 8204.