Audit Manager, Melbourne
- Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Permanent, Full time
- Northern Trust Company
- 23 Jan 18 2018-01-23
Audit Manager, Melbourne
Who we are
For more than a century, Northern Trust has worked hard building our legacy of outstanding service, expertise, and integrity. From a Chicago-based bank founded in 1889, we now have more than 20 international locations and 16,500 employees globally. We serve the world's most-sophisticated clients - from sovereign wealth funds and the wealthiest individuals and families to the most-successful hedge funds and corporate brands.
What we do
We burnished our reputation as a global leader delivering innovative investment management, asset and fund administration, fiduciary and banking solutions enabled by sophisticated, leading technology. And through it all, we continually laid a solid, forward-looking foundation on which future generations can continue growing and achieving greater.
What you will do
Northern Trust Audit Services is a team of 100+ global professionals aligned to Northern Trust businesses to drive assurance and advisory services as the third line of defense. As the department strategically transforms, Audit Services is recruiting for a candidate to perform the role of Head of Legal Entity Audit for APAC. The successful candidate will be accountable for providing independent evaluation of risks and control environments, driving value back to Northern Trust through consultative advice and identification of required management actions. This position is the lead role for one of three Northern Trust regions, providing leadership, creativity, and organization across APAC legal entities, their management team, and boards of directors. This role may require the successful candidate to travel to other Northern Trust locations, including globally.
The Audit Manager is responsible for conducting and documenting routine audit examinations throughout Northern Trust Corporation. The role is a direct report to the Audit Team Lead, and is responsible for completing the audit in accordance with stated budget, timeframes, and Department Policies and Standards.
- Build and lead the APAC Legal Entity Internal Audit team by developing legal entity risk assessments, executing multi-year risk based audit plans, and performing continuous monitoring across all activities
- Ensures support provided by other audit teams (based in North America, EMEA or APAC) is coordinated and properly covers the relevant risk areas.
- Ensures that audit project scopes relevant to APAC Legal Entities are appropriate and cover key risk areas in accordance with Audit Services Standards.
- Actively participates in the Global Audit Services Management Team that establishes tactical and strategic plans to meet the goals of the Department.
- Determines staffing needs, participates in employment decisions, handles salary administration and ensures resources are available to accomplish priorities.
- Provides leadership and guidance to staff, defines performance expectations and fosters an environment which encourages employee participation, teamwork and communication.
- Oversees and manages all audit activities within assigned areas of responsibility. Establishes an effective risk-based audit program and is responsible for its execution within the established budget.
- Responsible for the audit team's adherence to the Corporate/Department Policies and Standards and ensuring work is performed within established timeframes.
- Reviews audit reports to ensure clear and concise communication of risks and audit issues to Senior and Executive Management.
- Interacts and partners with Executive and Senior Management to understand the risks within key APAC Legal Entities, business changes and other significant events that could significantly affect the Legal Entities and/or the Audit Plan.
- Lead communications with management, board of directors, audit committee, regulators, external auditors, and the audit team to convey key and complex messages to influence organizational action
- Research, analyze, interpret and apply jurisdictional/regulatory requirements against multiple banking, investment management, and fund services activities, operating models, and legal entity structures
- Perform special investigations as requested by legal entity management, audit committees, boards, and regulators
- Follow-up and validate completion of management actions driven by internal or external findings
- Conducts the performance management process for direct reports and oversees the process, along with identifying training and development needs for the APAC Legal Entity audit team.
- Promote Northern Trust corporate values of service, integrity and expertise
- Advanced proficiency in decision making and judgement based on strategy, structure, and understanding of business, risks, controls, and technologies
- Advanced analytical, leadership, communication, and organizational skills, including presenting at board level and managing broad unstructured projects
- Professional certifications (e.g., CIA, CPA, CA, or CISA) or an MBA along with demonstrated technical abilities in select areas (e.g., accounting, regulatory compliance, or operations) are preferred
- Knowledgeable of internal audit best practices with proven ability to implement and deliver operational, compliance, and financial opinions
- A college or university degree and/or advanced auditing experience in a financial institution are required, or similar public accounting experience in the financial services industry
As of September 30, 2017, Northern Trust Corporation had:
- $131 billion in banking assets
- $7.8 trillion in assets under custody
- $9.7 trillion in assets under custody/administration
- $1.1 trillion in assets under management
Northern Trust is an equal opportunity employer. We aim for excellence in our efforts to recruit, develop and deploy the highest caliber workforce. Our commitment and success to a diverse workforce is evident in employee satisfaction and industry acknowledgment. For a list of all our achievements please click here .
The closing date to apply for this role is Friday 5 th January 2018 and we will be in touch with an update within two weeks.
For a private discussion please contact Gez Williams on +61 3 9935 8204.