Manager, Trading and Account Operations Technology
- Arlington, VA, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Sands Capital Management
- 30 Aug 16
Sands Capital is seeking a manager of the Firm’s global equity trading, portfolio administration, security master and pre/post trade compliance technology platforms.
About the Firm:
Sands Capital is an independent, employee-owned investment management firm based in Arlington, Virginia. Since 1992, Sands Capital has provided investment management services, primarily on a discretionary basis, to taxable and tax-exempt investors, including pension plans, endowments, foundations, mutual funds, charitable organizations, state, municipal and foreign government entities, Taft-Hartley plans, and high-net worth families and individuals. Sands Capital’s investment strategies employ a fundamental, bottom-up research process that aims to identify high-quality growth businesses on a global basis – from early-stage private businesses to leading public companies. Sands Capital currently manages approximately $40 billion in client assets.
Identified below are our Core Values that we hold in high regard and believe are critical for high-performing teams and individuals at Sands Capital:
Integrity & Trust: Do what is right, not what is popular. Deliver on commitments.
Client-Centered: Always act in the best interest of our clients.
Commitment to Excellence: Strive to learn and improve. Implement best practices.
Reporting to the Director of Technology, the successful candidate will have extensive trading floor and front office support experience managing the OMS and other front- and back-office applications for asset managers, hedge funds, broker/dealers, and/or other relevant financial services companies. A qualified candidate will be very comfortable working directly with traders, portfolio managers, vendors, and counterparties and the back and middle offices. To excel in this role the Manager must excel in managing the Firm’s front and back office technology and providing exceptional customer service to the Firm’s Trading, Operations, Compliance, Portfolio Management, Investment and Client Relations teams.
The manager will be responsible for:
- Acting as system owner of the Firm’s order management, execution management, FIX, trade compliance, portfolio administration, security master, market data, and reporting systems:
- Working under pressure to resolve all technology related trade, settlement and data issues in a timely manner in a 24 hour a day global trading environment.
- Mastering application navigation and end user workflows. Performing business systems workflow analysis and optimizing workflows across business units and applications.
- Performing root cause analysis by querying databases and analyzing application data and logs.
- Defining, leading, and testing all systems integrations, customizations, configurations, upgrades, patches, and software development in coordination with vendor software teams, internal software developers, and business users.
- Managing database analysis and software development projects and support work
- Leading report and data governance efforts
- Writing queries, designing, testing and automating simple reports
- Managing software development of complex reports
- Leading the Technology data governance practice
- Communicating effectively with internal and external stakeholders:
- Developing strong collaborative working relationships with key partners Trading, Operations, Compliance, Portfolio Management, Investment and Client Relations.
- Liaising with third parties and staff members to complete tasks and manage problem resolution.
- Communicating with vendor software support personnel to support implementations upgrades, and issues.
- Maintaining an external network to share and refine ideas regarding best practices.
Necessary Skills and Qualifications:
- B.A. or B.S. degree or equivalent experience
- 15+ years’ experience supporting front office institutional trading applications providing all levels of IT support for an institutional trading desk, preferably in both trading and trading support IT roles.
- 10+ years’ experience running an order management system (Linedata, Charles River, Fidessa).
- 10+ years’ experience managing trading and operations SQL databases, writing database queries, writing SRS reports, and linking SQL and MS Access databases.
- 10+ years’ experience managing projects and leading business analysis requirements gathering and leading UAT testing efforts for trading and back office systems.
- Substantial knowledge of FIX Protocol (4.0-4.4 preferably) with 5+ years’ hands on experience.
- Significant prior experience leading system migrations and/or upgrades of trading and back office applications.
- Significant experience working with market data providers Bloomberg, Factset, Thompson Reuters, MSCI, and/or IDC data feeds with a focus on data quality and cost management.
- Highly self-motivated with a demonstrated talent for multitasking effectively in dynamic and extremely stressful situations.
- Must possess exceptional communication skills, an eye for detail, strong problem solving skills, and a customer-centric perspective.
To be considered, candidates must submit a resume that specifically outlines your qualifications for the position.
If you wish to apply for this position, please e-mail the above items to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please place the job title in the subject line of your email.
We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits.
Sands Capital Management is an Equal Opportunity Employer.