Business Operational Risk Management, Senior Manager - Macquarie Investment Management
- Philadelphia, PA, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Macquarie Group
- 15 Sep 17
The Philadelphia office is seeking an Operational Risk Senior Manager to join their Business Operational Risk Management ("BORM") team. The role entails presenting results and recommendations of reviews to various levels of management. Coverage of the function encompasses business units and divisions under the MAM Macquarie Investment Management North America umbrella. The successful candidate will have strong research, analysis, and problem-solving abilities.
Macquarie Asset Management (MAM; formerly known as Macquarie Funds Group) is a full-service asset manager, offering a diverse range of products including securities investment management, infrastructure and real asset management, and fund and equity-based structured products.
MAM comprises the following three divisions:
• Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets
• Macquarie Investment Management
• Macquarie Specialised Investment Solutions.
About the role:
The Operational Risk Senior Manager will ensure that control assurance reviews are properly conducted and completed in accordance with the annual plan, Analysts are supervised, their work reviewed, follow-up work performed as necessary, and findings are communicated to senior management.
This person will be responsible for co-coordinating and supervising during periodic reviews of the operations of the business. This person also provides guidance and development to the team members as appropriate. Directly handles risk areas of a more complex or sensitive nature. The position will play a key role in assisting the business in identifying operational risks, assessing adequacy of controls to manage such risks and contributing to the continual improvement of the risk management framework.
The position entails presenting results and recommendations of reviews to various levels of management. Coverage of the function encompasses business units and divisions under Macquarie Asset Management Macquarie Investment Management Americas and EMEA umbrella.
The team's work crosses all business unit functional area lines and, as a result, requires staff members to acquire an in-depth knowledge, understanding, and appreciation for the inter/intra-relationships of each operating area. A high level of professional and technical (risk/auditing/technology) expertise is required.
- The Senior Manager will be responsible for coordinating and supervising the daily activities of operational risk reviews of the business. Ensures that reviews are properly conducted and completed in accordance with the annual plan and follow-up work is performed when appropriate.
- Responsible for monitoring and analyzing risk processes and policies ensuring program is compatible with the enterprise risk management framework.
- Provides oversight of risk management for significant operational changes, system implementations, assesses impact, works with business units to plan for smooth transition, and evaluates and mitigates the risks associates with the change.
- Directly handles risk areas of a more complex or sensitive area. Applies appropriate procedures to the areas reviewed to ensure that key controls are designed, documented, regularly tested, and all significant risks are addressed.
- Tracks operational risk incidents for root cause trends and identifies external events for lessons learned opportunities.
- Actively participates in controls assurance planning. Helps to define project scope, time frame and review program for approval. Balances and completes several tasks areas simultaneously.
- Plan and supervise targeted risk review engagements, working within the parameters of the department's annual plan using budget hours allocated by Management.
- Formulates appropriate conclusions regarding the adequacy of internal controls and procedures based on the work performed and knowledge of other operations in the business.
- Prepares clear and well-organized review work papers that appropriately document the work performed. Writes clear and meaningful risk comments and recommendations.
- Interacts with all levels of management and Company employees. Coordinates and conveys review findings persuasively and confidently in meetings with management.
- Performs special project and related duties, as assigned.
With a background in operational risk, assurance, advisory or within the asset management industry, you will demonstrate a practical and commercial understanding of funds management business operations. Additionally you will possess:
- Bachelor's Degree in accounting, finance, computer science, or related discipline. CPA, CIA, CISA, or similar designation preferred.
- Candidate must have a minimum of 7-9 years of experience in operational risk management, internal auditing, and/or public accounting covering financial services clients, specifically asset management.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a global organization to deliver results.
- Candidate must possess strong oral/written communication skills, be able to interact with all levels of personnel, be self-motivated, have excellent organizational and time-management skills, and must be flexible and reliable.
- The Senior Manager must have strong research, analysis, and problem-solving abilities. The commercial experience and analytical mindset to make sound recommendations on Operational Risk issues.
- Lateral thinker with problem solving, consulting skills and an ability to grasp abstract concepts and complex situations.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, marital status, gender identity or any other impermissible criterion or circumstance. Macquarie also takes affirmative action in support of its policy to hire and advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.