BlackRock Associate- Infrastructure Investing
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- 25 Sep 16
BlackRock Associate- Infrastructure Investing
BlackRock, Inc. (NYSE: BLK) is the world's largest asset manager with $4.6 trillion in assets under management across Equities, Fixed Income, Cash Management and Alternatives. The BlackRock Infrastructure Investment Group was founded in 2011 and now has over $8.6 billion in investor commitments. BIIG has 71 global investment professionals with a broad experience base in development, operating and financial investment experience. BIIG consists of traditional, co-mingled infrastructure funds, two infrastructure debt management teams with one in Europe and another based in North America along with solutions, advisory and managed accounts / special situations.
BlackRock is building a direct equity investing capability in energy and power in North America. It is anticipated that the business will be raising a commingled fund within the first year of joining. The associate role will be the junior support for all areas of the business and will be a key hire for the build-out of the team.
The position will specialize in financial analysis and broad commercial transaction support and will report to the Managing Director, Pat Eilers, who is leading the establishment of this new business which will focus on large energy and power investments. (see biography below)
The role will be as Financial Analyst with responsibility for project and financial modeling, deal assessment and execution, market research and general analytics. Responsibilities will include:
- Financial modeling: developing, utilizing, analyzing and dissecting financial models in order to analyze corporate and project opportunities and conduct valuations both at the corporate and project level.
- Deal assessment and execution: working with the team to assess and execute corporate and project investments. This will include conducting due diligence, financial review, preparation of presentation material for investment committee etc.
- Market research: including research related to potential investments, public policy, competitors, technology etc.
- Portfolio monitoring: assist in the monitoring of investments in the portfolio.
- Fundraising: support in communication with client and prospective clients to raise new capital.
- Build a Business: support a new and growing team as the new fund is raised and investments executed
Candidates should have experience and a strong interest in the energy and power industry focusing on project and/or corporate finance. Experience in energy and power finance as well as experience in the financial modeling are essential for the position. To be effective in the role candidates should have the following background and experience:
- Two years plus financial analyst position in the energy and power, natural resource group of a investment bank. Demonstrable financial modeling and evaluation skills are critical. In particular, a good understanding of accounting and/or leveraged finance / project finance modeling is important
- Deep knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (PowerPoint, Excel, Word); exceptionally strong Excel skills are required
- Able to manage workload effectively and deliver quality work on schedule
- A keen interest and developed knowledge base in energy and power investments
- A strong team player with a good work ethic
- Strong moral and ethical responsibility to clients and fellow colleagues
- Ability to effectively communicate complex issues in written and oral presentations
- Desire to part of a new and growing business as part of a large dynamic organization
- Strong academic background
- Enthusiasm and commitment to working in a friendly, entrepreneurial, team environment
Pat Eilers , Managing Director, is a member of the BlackRock Infrastructure Group, within BlackRock Alternative Investors (BAI). He will lead the establishment of a direct infrastructure energy and power equity capability in North America which will focus on large energy and power investments.
Mr. Eilers joined the firm March 2016. Mr. Eilers has more than 20 years of private equity experience, specifically focused over the last 10 years on energy, power, and chemicals opportunities. Before joining BlackRock, Pat was a Managing Director at Madison Dearborn Partners, LLC, a Chicago-based private equity firm where he oversaw the firm's energy, power and chemicals practice from 2006 to 2015. Prior to joining Madison Dearborn Partners in 1999, he served as a Director with Jordan Industries, Inc., a private holding company, and as an Associate with IAI Venture Capital, Inc., a venture capital firm. He also played professional football with the Chicago Bears, the Washington Redskins and the Minnesota Vikings from 1990 to 1995.
Mr. Eilers earned dual B.S. degrees in Biology and Mechanical Engineering from the University of Notre Dame in 1989 and 1990, respectively, receiving multiple student-athlete awards, and a Master of Management Degree, with honors, from the J.L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management in 1999.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.