Private Placement Analyst
- Des Moines, IA, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Bergan Recruiting
- 10 Aug 17
Responsible for analyzing financial information, drawing investment conclusions, making recommendations and consistently monitoring the creditworthiness of capital market private placement borrowers. Position will oversee assigned sectors, including new deal origination, monitoring of existing portfolio, appropriate model development, and managing and mentoring department analysts who support their sectors.
· Manages new investment deal flow for assigned sectors including screening potential new investments, participating in private placement road shows outside the office and/or conference calls, and recommending to pursue or pass on the opportunity.
· Researches potential investment opportunities and prepares recommendation report. Reads Private Placement Memorandum and financial reports, reviews legal documents and opinions, and completes additional research as required to underwrite the credit. Interacts with Investment Bankers, Sr. Management of Issuer, and outside legal counsel, as required. Ensures department models adequately assess financial risk and formulates internal credit rating. Determines appropriate risk adjusted return.
· Presents potential new investment recommendation to private placement Credit Committee. Negotiates pricing/terms upon bid circle with investment bank. Due diligence travel is frequently required.
· Follows investments through to funding, including following legal changes to the documents and providing appropriate oversight to ensure execution of funding.
· Manages ongoing monitoring of credits within assigned sectors in the private placement portfolio, including periodic, ongoing review of financial statements, covenant compliance, industry trends, company news, and current credit risk/internal credit rating. Requires significant knowledge of secular trends, world events and unfolding risks.
· Manages the analysis and timely response of the consent and/or amendment process for assigned sectors. Actions may include active negotiations with issuers, banks, legal counsel and creditor steering committee, and may involve voluntary or court assisted credit workout/recovery proceedings.
· Takes the lead in developing portfolio models for assigned sectors including financial models to adequately assess financial risk and formulate internal credit ratings.
· Takes the lead in continuous improvement activities that increase accuracy and/or efficiency.
· Manages portfolio maintenance activity for assigned sectors including periodic pricing, accounting inquiries/issues, audit requests, regulatory and financial reporting, filing information and various tasks in support of Vice President of Private Placements.
· Maintains investment bank relationships including daily interaction with outside sales coverage. Addresses portfolio questions, investment strategy, and investment parameters.
· Actively involved in training/mentoring activities in support of team members.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
Position will supervise less experienced private placement personnel.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) required, Master’s degree strongly preferred, in accounting, finance, economics, mathematics, engineering or related field from a four year college or university and twelve or more years of related experience and/or training.
· Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents from regulatory agencies, and other members of the business community.
· Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
· Ability to effectively present information to senior management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
· Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts.
· Ability to apply mathematical applications to tasks.
· Ability to work with mathematical concepts and apply to practical solutions.
· Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
· Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
· Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
· Position requires disciplined, accurate decision making under tight time frames and has a substantial impact on economic performance of private placement portfolio.
· Monitors condition of sizeable credit exposures and is expected to assist in early detection of potential problems.
· Position requires the ability to assimilate significant amounts of information, interpret financial statements and draw conclusions from that information. Must develop informed opinion and provide supporting facts/data. Position requires strong written and verbal skills to successfully communicate with coworkers, outside sales professionals, outside peers, various company management teams and senior management.
· New investment opportunities often come with a short time frame. Position requires the ability to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines and ability to have multiple projects in progress at the same time and the ability to switch back and forth between tasks.
· Requires maintenance of relationships with research peers, investment banking professionals, borrower management teams, private placement peers outside the organization. Likewise, the position requires interaction with coworkers including accounting staff and senior management.