Senior Application Architect
Senior Application ArchitectWestern Union Careers: Work That Makes A Difference
At Western Union, you can build a career doing work that makes a difference! We are disrupting the cross-border money transfer industry by developing new technologies and partnerships. Watch our recruiting video to get introduced to WU, and visit westernunion.com/careers to learn more!
Senior Application Architect
Western Union is changing. Yes, we're the company that moves money around the world quickly and reliably in 200 countries and territories. We are also present in over 510,000 locations bringing immense distribution convenience to our consumers. But we're on the cusp of becoming much more than that. Our vision is to be the preferred financial services provider for the underserved - billions of people and businesses with unmet financial service needs. That means aggressively pursuing digital, mobile, ATM/kiosk and stored value card strategies that meet the needs of today's global consumers and businesses. So if you're looking for a company on the move - and truly one of the most diverse work environments on the planet - then Western Union could be for you.
Right now, we are seeking a Senior Application Architect to join our team in San Francisco.
In this role, you will:
• Provide technical mentorship to other team members
• Translate business requirements and product vision into application architecture
• Provide direction and guidance on solution designs and architecture to ensure appropriate fit with enterprise standards
• Collaborate with product and project managers, other architects as well as business to define architectural standards, architectural deliverables and project estimates
• Propose the most optimum technical solutions in order to drive industry 'best in class' KPI results
• Ensure that E-commerce projects are architected and delivered according to plan and under budget Ensure that teams deploy projects successfully to production
• Provide inputs into the plan of record based on decisions and lessons learned during the delivery of E-commerce projects
- Bachelor's and/or Master's Degree in Computer Science (or equivalent) is required.
- 10+ years of software engineering and architecture experience in a fast paced corporate environment.
- Experienced in designing core commerce modules such as merchandizing, pricing engine, rules based segmentation and personalization, payment processing, checkout processing, order processing.
- Comprehensive experience with Weblogic / IBM WebSphere/ Tomcat and industry leading Application servers.
- Experience designing and building dynamic and flexible web applications for extremely high traffic and transaction volumes.
- Experience working with ecommerce systems and a knowledge of the sales and distribution business domain.
- Experience with SOA and ESB (Enterprise Service Bus) concepts and frameworks.
- Experience with J2EE software design ( Wicket, Servlets/JSP, JSF, Struts, AJAX, Web Services, Portlets, Spring framework) and application architecture patterns.
- Experienced with performance tuning techniques such as caching (Oracle Coherence), payload & throughput management, API level performance tracking and tuning,
- Comprehensive experience in Java, J2EE, JSP, EJB, HTML, XML, Web 2.0, AJAX, REST,JSON Web Services, Oracle Database and PL-SQL
- Comprehensive experience with JSR 168, 286 and 311 portlets and restful API specs
- Strong knowledge of LINUX/UNIX web infrastructure, networks, databases and security concepts.
- Enterprise level eCommerce and IT experience with a high level understanding of various technologies (Middleware, ERP, Data warehousing, Legacy systems)
- Experience with architecture design concepts and techniques and the ability to communicate and evangelize those concepts to a broad based team.
- Load testing and performance optimization of java based web application
- Understanding of various development methodologies, including:
- Traditional Waterfall and Iterative Development Methods (Unified Process and Agile)
- Ability to question, challenge and effectively influence solutions proposed by other technical teams.
- Ability to make the development and architecture teams operate efficiently through the use of best practices, processes and tools.
- Strong problem solving skills, ability to triage technical issues and drive resolution with cross functional teams.
- Strong decision-making skills, and an understanding of where projects fit into the overall architecture strategy.
- Ability to roll with changes in a dynamic work environment, shaping changes into opportunities. Proven performance record with demonstrated leadership skills
- Excellent communication, negotiation and facilitation skills are required
- Proven ability to interact effectively with people in all levels of the organization (cross-functional, on/shore technical teams and executive management)