Western Asset Mortgage Capital Corporation (NYSE: WMC) is a mortgage REIT that invests in Agency RMBS and CMBS, Non-Agency RMBS, CMBS and other asset-backed securities. The Company also invests in residential and commercial whole loans and/or whole-loan securities and other securities. The Company’s investment strategy may change, subject to the Company’s stated investment guidelines, and is based on our manager Western Asset Management Company’s perspective of which mix of portfolio assets it believes provide the Company with the best risk-reward opportunities at any given time. The Company is externally managed and advised by Western Asset Management Company, an investment advisor registered with the SEC and a wholly-owned subsidiary of Legg Mason, Inc. (NYSE: LM).
The Financial Reporting Manager for WMC is a new position at WMC and will be responsible for financial reporting, including SEC reporting, corporate accounting policies, technical GAAP research and oversee Sarbanes Oxley implementation. This position will report into the Controller.
- Monitor WMC’s compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and company procedures.
- Research, analyze and prepare white papers on accounting issues and policies.
- Provide GAAP reporting for new transactions, as needed.
- Review 10-K and 10-Q filings to ensure accurate accounting disclosure in compliance with U.S. GAAP and SEC regulations.
- Research the accounting impact relating to the adoption and implementation of new accounting standards to ensure adequate financial statement disclosure.
- Oversee the implementation and documentation of Sarbanes-Oxley compliance, working with outside internal auditors.
- Work with different business owners on execution and compliance with entity level controls.
- Evaluate current accounting practices, policies, and controls to identify potential improvements to key processes and controls.
- Interface with WMC’s portfolio management team on a daily basis.
- Interface with WMC’s compliance team to monitor reliable control systems.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in public accounting.
- Strong analytical skills, strong Excel skills, and excellent communication skills required.
- Effective communication (both oral and written).
- Ability to successfully address multiple priorities and projects.
- Previous SEC reporting and SOX compliance experience required.
- Understanding of the residential mortgage REIT industry, including familiarity with mortgage backed securities, residential and commercial whole loans, mezzanine, B-notes, CDO’s, CMBS, derivatives and mortgage financing.
- Must be team oriented.
- Demonstrate an understanding of financial statements and current U.S. GAAP.
- The ability to work independently while keeping internal constituents apprised on a regular basis.
Academic Qualifications (minimum requirements):
- Bachelor’s degree required in Accounting.