Head of Results - Investment Group
- Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Capital Group
- 19 Jan 17
Head of Results - Investment Group
Founded in 1931, Capital Group ("Capital") is one of the world's largest and most trusted investment management firms, managing more than US$1.3 trillion in assets on behalf of individual and institutional investors in more than 20 offices around the globe. Our more than 7,800 associates across five continents make our clients their first priority every day.
When we do our job right, millions of investors around the globe fulfill their dreams and financial goals, from home ownership and higher education to a comfortable retirement. Our long-term investment results and outstanding service set us apart from our competitors, while our workplace sets us apart from other employers. How we work is defined by shared values that include absolute integrity, respect and collaboration.
We are privately held and maintain a solid financial foundation with a strong balance sheet that includes no debt. A conservative approach to managing all aspects of its operations has allowed us to remain consistently profitable for more than 40 years while making strategic investments in its people and business capabilities in all manner of market environments.
The Capital organization is composed of groups that perform securities analysis and portfolio management, market and distribute the organization's investment products, provide service and operational support, and manage the firm's large technology infrastructure. Our investment offerings span public equity, fixed income, balanced portfolios and private equity. Clients include institutions such as public and corporate retirement plans (defined benefit and defined contribution), endowments and foundations, sovereign wealth funds, financial institutions, retail investors (who invest via the American Funds mutual fund family in the U.S.) and high-net-worth individuals (served by the Private Client Services group).
We invest our clients' assets based on thorough research and careful attention to risk. We believe that active investing (picking individual securities as opposed to indexing), provided by the right managers at the right price, produces significant advantages to investors over the long term. Our portfolio managers are among the most experienced in the industry, with an average of 27years of industry experience and 22 years of experience at Capital.
Over several decades, we have developed a unique approach to portfolio management that shuns the "star system" in favor of a multi-manager structure called The Capital System. With each investment offering, we begin by defining a clear investment objective and assembling a diverse team of portfolio managers and investment research analysts best equipped to pursue the universe of investment opportunities available. The Capital System is designed to enable individual investment professionals to act on their highest convictions, while limiting the risk associated with isolated decision-making. Funds using The Capital System are divided into portions that are managed independently by investment professionals with diverse backgrounds, ages and investment approaches.
American Funds is one of only four firms to earn the highest Morningstar Stewardship Grade of "A." The grade is based on management practices, manager tenure and investment performance, and entails factors like corporate culture, fund board quality, portfolio manager incentives, fees and regulatory history.
The annual Lipper Fund Awards recognize fund families and individual mutual funds that, relative to their peers, have achieved consistently strong risk-adjusted three-, five- and 10-year results. In a near sweep of the target date fund category, eight of our target date funds were honored (seven for multiple time frames and one for a single period) in 2015. New Perspective Fund, SMALLCAP World Fund and U.S. Government Securities Fund were also honored. American Funds received 19 Lipper awards for 11 of its funds for 2015-the eighth year in a row American Funds has taken home multiple Lipper Awards.
Twelve American Funds have been cited for excellence in the Morningstar® FundInvestorSM "Fantastic 48" list - the most of any fund family. Morningstar's annual review of nearly 8,000 mutual funds identifies a select group of funds considered for criteria such as expenses, manager ownership, returns, stewardship and risk ratings (July 2016).
Just as we seek to make a difference in the lives of our investors, we encourage associates to make a difference in our communities. Capital has a strong tradition of service and philanthropy. Each year, associates personally support more than 2,000 nonprofit organizations through donations and volunteer work. In turn, Capital Group and its charitable foundation enhance that support with funding through grants and matching gifts. During the past 10 years, Capital has contributed more than US$240 million to charitable organizations.
The work environment at Capital is collegial, intellectually rigorous and honest. Everyone is expected to contribute both as an individual and as a member of a team. Another distinct hallmark of Capital's philosophy is its focus on long-term investment results, relationship management and the stewardship of the organization itself. After 85 years, Capital remains a vibrant and dynamic organization engaged in continuously improving the way it operates, aligning its strengths as an asset manager to the needs of investors around the world.
Capital fosters an environment of mutual respect. We value diversity of backgrounds, beliefs and viewpoints and encourage all associates to participate in discussions. Our culture is built on fundamental values that shape decision-making and the way we interact with clients, investors and one another:
Integrity We strive to do what's right, no matter what
Respect for individuals We treat people fairly and embrace their diversity
Collaboration We work openly and constructively together
Humility Our focus is on our clients, not ourselves
Long-term focus We act with the long-term interests of our clients in mind
Rigorous analysis We make decisions based on evaluation of sound research
Consistency We can be counted on to act in a predictable manner
Accountability We take responsibility for our actions and deliver what is agreed upon
Capital Group seeks to hire a seasoned asset management leader with strong knowledge of portfolio analysis / analytics, portfolio construction, performance measurement, and analytical tools and approaches to support these activities. A deep knowledge of various asset classes and investment products is strongly desired. The Head of Results for Investment Group will manage a team of 22 professionals based in Los Angeles that are responsible for the analysis, analytics, and reporting needs of all investment group divisions of the Capital Group. This includes support for retail, institutional, and high net worth across equities, fixed income and multi-asset classes.
The individual we seek will have deep quantitative skills along with strong leadership and people management abilities. He/she will be a part of the senior quantitative leadership of Capital and contribute to the overall strategy and vision for this part of the organization. The successful candidate will be involved in critical business initiatives that will enhance the future success of Capital.
Location Los Angeles, CA
Reports to: Jalal Akhavein, Head of Results Analysis
Manages: A team of twenty-two analysts
relationships: Investment teams and resources
Quantitative teams & leaders
Product Management and Strategy
Primary responsibilities/essential functions:
- Work with Investment Group leadership, understand their needs, and articulate and communicate this to the team. Build and lead a strong team with the technical skills to fulfill this mission.
- Drive analysis that supports the investment group's thought leadership initiatives and results in valuable content/insights.
- Act as a spokesperson for the work of the group while interfacing with internal teams.
- Partner and interact with key stakeholders across Capital Group including other department leaders and investment group professionals.
- Develop strategic partnerships across the organization to assure a proactive rather than reactive response to their needs.
- Focus and refine the model and structure of the team to assure processes are well-developed and deliverables are aligned with business needs.
- Serve as a member of the firm's Quantitative Steering Group, which is composed of leaders of the various quantitative/analytical groups at Capital.
Experience and Skills
- At least 10 years of experience in the asset management industry, with experience working in an analytical leadership role.
- Experience managing, mentoring and developing a team.
- Broad product knowledge across Equities and Fixed Income.
- Experience across both institutional and retail investment units is preferred.
- Strategic vision and understanding of how to apply methodologies to new products or businesses of the firm.
- Ideally will have experience with regulatory requirements.
- Vast experience working with internal clients with the ability to understand, distill and communicate their needs and objectives.
- Ability to think broadly across products, trends, structures, processes to provide solutions that meet the demands of the teams this person supports.
- Ability to gain consensus amongst teams perhaps with different agendas. Comfortable working across disparate groups such as investment groups, product, risk, finance, legal, research and analytic providers.
- Comfortable working in a large organization.
- Ability to work and communicate flawlessly with experienced investment professionals. Can articulate ideas and strategies clearly, both verbally and in writing.
- Extremely agile as priorities can quickly shift.
- Ability to develop relationships with key stakeholders across the firm.
- Ability to think innovatively and in an integrated fashion, conceptualize and grasp broad and complex ideas and lead others in developing business plans.
- Strong writing, communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment, multi task and be execution oriented.
- Unwavering ethics and integrity. Must be values oriented.
- Personable, collegial and collaborative.
- Drive, enthusiasm and creativity.
Undergraduate degree required, strong preference for a CFA, MBA or a Masters/PhD degree in a quantitative field.