Technology, Platform, DevOps Engineer, Associate/Vice President, London
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Goldman Sachs International
- 23 Aug 17
See job description for details
MORE ABOUT THIS JOB
Our team of engineers builds solutions to the most complex problems. We develop cutting-edge systems and processes that form the core of our key business and enable transactions to move in milliseconds. We provide real-time access to critical deal information and crunch billions of data points each day to inform firm-wide market insights and strategies. Team members have the opportunity to work at the forefront of technology innovation alongside industry leaders and make significant contributions to the field.
The Cloud Application Infrastructure team in the Runtime and Deployment pillar within the Platform business unit is a global, multi-disciplinary team responsible for researching, designing, testing and building world-class tools, practices and systems used across Goldman Sachs.
Partnering with colleagues from Technology and the business, Application Infrastructure team integrate and evolve the application suite across our Cloud Computing platform (Dynamic Compute) , Scheduling and Runtime platforms.
They solve critical problems, maintain and strengthen essential systems, provides training and internal consultancy, and safeguards the firm's culture of high-caliber software engineering.
The team cover management and design of core technologies for the firm:
- The cloud computing platform offering infrastructure and higher level systems as a service
- A schedule based cross platform distributed computing system
- An on demand cross platform distributed computing system
- Software distribution
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
HOW YOU WILL FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL
- Engage with application development teams to provide timely end-to-end delivery of appropriate platform solutions
- Collaborate with application development teams and the development community at large to analyze and resolve escalations
- Provide technical guidance on established best practices to IT community and the business
- Partner with engineering teams to understand technology offerings and how they can be applied to solve business problems
- Design and implement mid to large scale systems management software to automate existing tasks, streamline operations and improve productivity
- 5 or more years of experience in a relevant role (DevOps, Reliability Engineering, Systems Administration, Application Programming, etc)
- Team player, eager to work in a global organization
- Energy, self-motivation and independence to manage multiple tasks
- Experience with distributed compute systems
- Highly knowledgeable of at least one of Linux or Windows platforms running key business applications
- Knowledgeable of many other areas of technology (networking, hardware, etc)
- Highly entrepreneurial and motivated
- Highly organized
- Strong interpersonal skills - good client facing skills as well as excellent oral and written communication
- Exposure to Linux / Unix environment and advanced knowledge and experience of automating / scripting tasks is essential
- Hands on experience in production deployment and release management
- Hands on experience in troubleshooting and debugging application issues
- Knowledge of best practices and IT operations in a highly available and mission critical service
- Knowledge of atleast one programming language (Erlang, Python, Perl, C++, C, Java, SQL) beyond basic scripting is a key advantage
- Experience managing performance, availability and scale of mid- to large-sized systems (Experience of building and running high availability systems is an advantage)
- Experience with all stages in the lifecycle of large distributed systems: inception, analysis, design, implementation, runtime, maintenance
- Good knowledge of atleast one database product (like MSQL / PostgreSQL / DB2) (Knowledge of NOSQL products like MongoDB would be an advantage)
- Possesses good knowledge of different software systems, client/server architectures and various compatibility requirements
- Knowledge on Software Development Lifecycles and methodologies, Release Management Process & Products are added advantage.
- Familiarity with open source automation / configuration tools such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible or SaltStack would be an advantage
- They will part of a global effort to expand, rationalize, and standardize the automation and service layer of our product base to provide increased service to our clients.
- They will have access to a global team of technology experts from a multitude of disciplines and provide a single point of service for their application developer clients.
- GS offers a wide range of both technical resources and structured training coursework through GS University.
- This position faces off to the business application development as well as technology infrastructure communities.
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2017. All rights reserved
Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.