Technology, Finance Engineering, PARA, Analyst/Associate, London
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Goldman Sachs International
- 23 Jun 17
See job description for details
Job Summary & Responsibilities
In Finance & Risk Engineering, you'll find an exciting confluence of computer science, finance and mathematics being used to solve for what our shareholders would like from us: a high return for the right risk taken.
Product Accounting Reporting, and Analysis (PARA) engineers are responsible for designing and implementing systems to calculate, monitor, validate and report the firm's profit and loss each day. The PARA system processes all the firm's trading activity across all the product lines traded by the firm - everything from simple equities and bonds to complex structured derivatives, which presents many problems around processing at scale while still producing the appropriate level of accuracy for reporting.
We are looking for a candidate who thrives in using technology to solve real world problems, working alongside business users to understand their workflows and solve difficult financial and technical problems. The role requires a strong communicator who can discuss ideas and work across a large user group and an engineering team spread across 5 regions comprising of 60 people globally.
New projects are implemented as Java backed service-based architectures using commodity compute in order to create scalable systems, with React web front ends designed in conjunction with our UX experts.
HOW YOU WILL FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL
Are you interested in learning about finance, while still staying close to your roots as a software engineer? As a business software engineer in the PARA team you have the opportunity to do this, while working in small, nimble teams to provide technical products to meet our constantly evolving needs of our business needs. In this role you will:
• Work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with an engaged user group to solve business problems
• Create and extend architectures to process large amounts of financial data in small amounts of time
• Understand a vast array of asset classes and implement bespoke processing for complex financial products
• Help us build out our service-based strategy
• Manage end-to-end systems development cycle from requirements analysis, coding, testing, UAT and maintenance
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE WE'RE LOOKING FOR
• 1-6 years experience in software development, including a clear understanding of data structures, algorithms, software design and core programming concepts
• Strong problem solving and analytical skills
• Comfortable working as part of a team, managing multiple stakeholders and working on multiple initiatives
• Excellent communication skills including experience speaking to technical and business audiences and working globally
• Can apply an entrepreneurial approach and passion to problem solving and product development
• Desire to learn about finance
• Strong programming experience in at least one compiled language (e.g. C, C++, Java)
• Technologies: Linux and shell scripting, TDD (JUnit), build tools (Maven/Gradle/Ant), Scala, Spark, Tableau
• In-depth knowledge of relational and columnar SQL databases, including database design
• Experience with continuous delivery and deployment
• Proficient at working with large and complex code bases
• Comfortable working in highly dynamic and rapid development environment (Agile development experience)