Payments - API Architect
- Range of £50k to £60k
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- DQ Associates
- 16 Sep 16
The purpose of the role is to play a central and critical part in designing the architecture, code, testing, and deploy process for industry wide APIs. The role will coordinate the payments industry input into API standards and technical development, and to communicate key strategic and technical business issues deriving from API standards for the payments industry, its members and interest groups. Direct involvement in the design and development of financial services API messaging.
Formulate thought leadership and publish policy papers in support of the industry in respect of the business, operational and technical aspects of standards as they relate to APIs.
Provide market intelligence and analysis communicating the key issues as they relate to the banking and payments industry, end-users and consumers.
Main Activities and Responsibilities
1. Technical development activity related to API standards, development and architecture
- Direct involvement in the design and development of financial services API messaging, modelling and mapping for the payments industry, ensuring these comply with relevant regulations and international guidelines
- Responsible for the implementation and support of a central technical design authority ensuring that there is a clear and consistent design methodology / approach
- Translate high level business requirements into technology architectures
- Ensuring end to end completeness of technical design
- Develop / Maintain relevant, (sometimes) tailored and implementable Policies, Baselines, Standards, Guidelines and Procedures
- Developing and communicating knowledge and skills in emerging technologies and trends that may influence future API standards
- Demonstrate extensive knowledge of API design and operation
- Understanding of security implications of APIs.
2. Represent the industry at national and international fora
- Facilitating the interface between ISO and other standards bodies on matters dealing with APIs
- Research and understand industry issues
- Communicate effectively
- Influence and lobby
- Participation in meetings to liaise with members and other national and international stakeholders such as commercial suppliers, or end users. This could include one-to-one discussions as well as workshops
- Promoting standardisation as a collaborative industry activity
- Fostering convergence between the various stakeholders involved in the end-to-end payments process.
- Undertake research and development
- Plan and undertake research
- Manage research documentation
- Communicate issues and findings
Undertake any other duties as may reasonably be requested. All activities will be overseen by the Head of Industry Standards.
- Technical Standards Architect (APIs), reporting to the Head of Standards.
- Internal Contacts – internal colleagues; staff working for other industry groups.
- External Contacts – Payment System Operators, senior industry stakeholders; regulators and government officials, other national payments and banking associations, standards setting bodies and central banks.
- London based with some travel required.
Required Job Specific Competencies:
Understanding of data architectural concepts and objectives
Experience of how standards, specifically related to APIs are developed and applied
Technical competence in data analysis and modelling e.g. UML/XML/JSON
Technical competence in API design and implementation experience e.g. HTTP, REST, SOAP
Experience in open source environment e.g. Swagger, Github
Experience with payment systems and payments APIs
Past working experience in a relevant role e.g. web developer, data/payments architect, infrastructure engineering
Ability to translate business requirements into technical requirements and vice versa
Sufficient experience in an analyst role, or similar, where they have been exposed to business analysis within a multi stakeholder environment
Articulate communicator with good interpersonal skills
Business Analysis & Consultancy
Payment Industry Knowledge and Expertise