Newton, Operational Risk Manager
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- BNY Mellon
- 29 Sep 16
Newton, Operational Risk Manager
For over 230 years, the people of BNY Mellon have been at the forefront of finance, expanding the financial markets while supporting investors throughout the investment lifecycle. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments & safeguards nearly one-fifth of the world's financial assets. BNY Mellon remains one of the safest, most trusted and admired companies. Every day our employees make their mark by helping clients better manage and service their financial assets around the world. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, clients count on the people of BNY Mellon across time zones and in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. It's the collective ambition, innovative thinking and exceptionally focused client service paired with a commitment to doing what is right that continues to set us apart. Make your mark: bnymellon.com/careers.
As one of the world's leading investment management organizations and one of the top U.S. wealth managers, BNY Mellon Investment Management combines agility, insight and scale to create and deliver strategies and solutions to address our clients' needs. Encompassing BNY Mellon's investment management firms, wealth management organization and global distribution teams, we draw on deep expertise to collaborate with clients and tailor our best ideas and resources to meet their specific needs. We pride ourselves on providing dedicated service through our network of global professionals who have a deep understanding of local requirements. With our extensive experience in anticipating and responding to the investment and financial needs of the world's governments, pension plan sponsors, corporations, foundations, endowments, advisors, intermediaries, individuals and families, and family offices, BNY Mellon Investment Management is dedicated to helping clients reach their goals.
Newton Investment Management Limited is an active investment management firm, using thematic ideas about the long-term investment landscape to create and manage strategies that help secure its clients' futures. Newton thinks on a global basis, with its single London-based investment team working collaboratively across asset classes and regions. The firm builds bold solutions, designed to meet the real-world challenges the clients face, and the team manage them responsibly in the broadest sense - through embedding environmental, social and governance considerations, and engaging on issues that affect their clients. Those clients are based around the world, and include pension funds, corporations and charities and, via Newton's parent company BNY Mellon, individuals.
With offices in London and New York, Newton has £51.8bn under management (as at 30 June 2016), including assets managed by Newton Investment Management Limited as dual officers of Newton Capital Management Limited and The Bank of New York Mellon. News and other information about Newton is available at www.newton.co.uk and via Twitter: @NewtonIM
Newton employees are bright, inquisitive, thoughtful and collaborative. They are highly motivated to deliver performance and service to clients. Newton pride themselves on being an employer of choice, with a flexible working environment and a commitment to diversity and opportunity among its employees.
Newton is a professional, friendly and collegiate place to work. The firm looks to attract individuals who are keen to work as part of a team, in a meritocratic environment, and who are driven to help make the organisation a great place to work.
We are currently recruiting an Operational Risk Manager to support the Head of Operational Risk in implementing Newton's Risk Management Framework, particularly by providing oversight of OpRisk Events, Emerging and Strategic risk, ICAAP and production of relevant management information.
- OpRisk Events
- Oversee and provide quality assurance for the OpRisk Events process
- Provide support and guidance to the OpRisk Analyst with regard to significant events, escalation to Senior Management and contested issues
- Review loss calculations to ensure fair treatment of client
- Emerging and Strategic risk assessment
- Lead Newton's Emerging and Strategic Risk Assessment process, which ties into Newton's Operational and Regulatory Risk Assessment processes, as well as a "Top Risks" process
- Lead on situational risk assessments (e.g. Grexit & China) to ensure business awareness of risks/exposures and preparedness for changes
- Facilitate the process for the annual and quarterly ICAAP updates
- Gather and prepare documentation and obtain appropriate sign off
- Maintain documentation for internal record keeping and external regulatory review purposes
- Project risk assessments
- Assist the business in conducting risk assessments for significant projects. Challenge controls and mitigating actions.
- Participate in project governance committees as requested by the Head of Operational Risk and ensure post-project risk are being transitioned by the business in to BAU risk management processes (e.g. RCSA).
- Assist the Head of Operational Risk as necessary including:
- OpRisk representative for the Operations and Technology Oversight Committee and Project Oversight Group
- Preparation of various management committee reports
- Maintenance and development of relevant operational risk policies and procedures
- Voice recording retrievals
- Liaison with Newton Business recovery & crisis management team and represent Newton on the Business Continuity Oversight Group
- Development and delivery of Risk and Compliance training (e.g. inductions, Risk Reps) as required
- Any other duties as deemed appropriate by the Head of Operational Risk
- Work as a member of the OpRisk Team to ensure linkages between distinct risk management activities (such as RCSA, KRIs and OpRisk events).
- Develop junior analysts as required.
- Prior experience working with the financial services industry would be advantageous, particularly within Compliance or another control function (i.e. Risk or Internal Audit).
- Exposure and understanding of accounting and finance desirable.
- Familiarity with the UK regulatory system including the FCA's supervisory approach and the Handbook of rules/guidance, particularly prudential rules, also beneficial.
- Competent in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other desktop applications.
- Degree level preferred but not essential
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater London-London
Job: Asset Management
Internal Jobcode: 50318
Requisition Number: 1611811