Middle Office Manager
- market rate
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- The Emerald Group
- 23 Sep 16
My client is looking to hire a manager into their middle office team.
My client is currently recruiting a Middle Office Manager to join their team in London. The role’s primary responsibility is to take ownership of a number of Middle Office tasks and support the Head of Investment Operations in running the Middle Office team.
Being uniquely positioned within the business, the Middle Office team works in a demanding and dynamic environment. Acting as the operational support for the Portfolio Management team, the Middle Office provides a fantastic opportunity to work in a fast paced multi-asset fund-of-fund management firm. Acting as the operational support and trade execution conduit for the Portfolio Management team, the Middle Office provides a fantastic opportunity to gain a first-hand look at the investment process, which assists in developing a holistic knowledge around the end-to-end investment process.
The role would be ideal for someone who is adaptable and flexible with a can do attitude, who is looking for an opportunity to drive the development of an increasingly integral area of a rapidly growing business. From day one, the successful candidate will take on the responsibility for a variety of functions that include trade support, treasury and performance & portfolio analysis.
About the Role
Develop and manage relationships with external service providers, including underlying managers and custodian.
Act as the line manager for individuals within the team
Processing and oversight of the daily trade order management, including processing, settlements, record keeping, post trade audit settlement and query management.
Oversight of the current and projected cash balances, including currency hedges.
Assist Senior Risk Manager with performance analysis and the calculation of risk metrics.
Perform daily reconciliations of portfolio cash and security holdings.
Oversight of client and fund transaction analysis.
Ownership of monthly and quarterly reporting tasks across a range of client solutions.
Ensure that regulatory requirements are met, including management of the submission of any periodic reporting.
Input to on-going departmental initiatives
Work with project teams to support and implement re-engineered and integrated business processes and infrastructure to meet the needs of internal clients.
Working directly with various internal and external stakeholders (custodians, fund accountants, sub-managers)
As a Middle Office Manager your skills and qualifications will ideally include;
• The likely candidate will have 5 years + experience in an asset management or investment administration (or an allied industry)
• Experience in a middle office role
• Experience working with fund-of-funds is highly desirable
• Experience with order management systems (particularly Charles River) highly desirable
• Knowledge of all major asset classes & investment structures
• Knowledge and experience of fund trading and settlement processes
• Experience with Fund of Funds/ Multi Manager platforms is highly desirable
• Excellent numerical ability and analytical skills, with high attention to detail and accuracy
• Ability to translate analysis into client-friendly material
• Strong computer skills, with advanced skills in Excel and Word (Bloomberg useful) – demonstrable ability to work with, and manipulate, large data sets
• Experience with the various methods of investment performance calculations
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
• Strong interpersonal skills with proven ability to build and maintain working relationships with both internal and external clients
• Ability to independently manage projects and meet deadlines with minimal supervision
• Strong organizational, analytical, and quantitative skills
• Detail-oriented and ability to multi-task
• Superior written and verbal communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills, team-oriented and professional demeanour
• Comfortable working in a highly demanding environment
• Must have a proactive attitude
• University degree
• Investment qualification(s) useful