Senior Analyst, EDS & S
- Temporary, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank
- 17 Sep 16
Please view Job Description for details.
To support the EDS team in its objectives through a mix of following activities:
* analysis of data attributes in the bank's systems to understand their meaning/ usage/ provenance, identify data owners, and document the same into an overall data dictionary
* tracing and documentation of end-to-end lineage of individual data attributes
* mapping of data attributes from different systems to the bank's standard data model
* setting of data standards (through the analyses highlighted above) and enforcement of the same
* profiling of data attributes to assess quality
* support testing activities to validate correct implementation of data models and corresponding ETL programs.
* support data consumers in understanding and using of data
All of the above will involve the use of one or more metadata/ data profiling/ data quality tools (e.g., IBM InfoSphere, ErWIN, Oracle EDQ, MicroStrategy, Tableau, SAS, etc)
Key Roles and Responsibilities
3 major key responsibilities are (inclusive but not exhaustive):
1) Analysis and recommendation of data sources and standards for projects
2) Analysis and documentation of data in existing systems
3) Provision of data related advice and enforcement of data standards in BAU
1) Project support
All technology projects in the bank are ultimately about data. In addition to enterprise-wide projects that support customer-facing products or channels and internal requirements such as finance and risk, SCB has also embarked on an Enterprise-wide data management (EDM) programme (using Teradata as a platform).
For all such projects and particularly those related to the EDM programme, the EDS data analysts will be expected to support individual projects by
* Reviewing BRDs and distilling data requirements from the same
* Mapping the data requirements to the bank's standard data model
* Comparing data requirements with group data standards, and identifying potential sources of non-compliance
* Recommending data sourcing approach (including golden sources where applicable)
* Planning and coordinating profiling of data at source to ascertain data quality and consistency
* Initiating (but not executing) data cleansing where necessary
* Proposing data quality validation rules and data quality maintenance where appropriate
* Planning and performing acceptance testing activities to ascertain standards and recommendations are being followed
2) Documentation of existing systems
As part of the BCBS (Basel Committee on Banking Supervision) 239 requirements, SCB and other banks are required to document data definitions, ownership, lineage, quality and controls for all data needed for risk and finance reporting. Similar regulatory initiatives to guarantee data integrity are coming into place in many of SCB's geographies.
For projects under the EDM program, the EDS team would perform As-Is analyze to study and document the current state of systems that are in scope of the projects.
The documentation should include: data definitions, ownership, lineage, quality and controls. It should also include a mapping between data attributes in different existing systems that are in scope of the projects, and the bank's standard data model.
The As-Is analysis is also expected to result in identification of instances where inappropriate or inconsistent data sources are being used, data quality is poor, and/ or controls to ensure data quality are missing or inadequate. Finally, the exercise should also result in recommendations on addressing these issues
3) BAU advice and enforcement
As the EDS team executes on #1 and #2, it will build up collective knowledge and expertise on all of the bank's data, and will document these formally in a bank-wide repository of data standards. Hence, he or she has a critical role in:
* Assessing the impact of changes in upstream systems on downstream data consumers
* Providing advice to anyone in the bank who needs to source a particular type of data for internal use or (particularly) external reporting
* Enforcing the bank's data standards through collaboration with the various functional and technology teams supporting the bank's systems
Qualifications and Skills
Qualifications * Degree in Accounting, Statistics, or Computer Science specializing in Information Management, or equivalent Domain knowledge * 5-10 years of work experience in Banking domain involving one or more of the following: Core Banking, Trade & lending products, Treasury products (Foreign exchange, Money market, Bonds etc), Client on boarding or Due diligence, Regulatory or Internal reporting, sanctions/ anti-money-laundering, Risk Management (Market, Credit or Operational), Data Governance, OR * IT or data analysis/ profiling roles supporting the above areas In addition, candidates from outside the banking domain will be considered if they have deep functional knowledge of finance function OR have been involved in data analysis and migration work in major data warehousing projects Technical skills All members of the EDS team must be very comfortable with MS Excel (critical to data analysis work). In addition, any combination of the following skills will also advantage (though not mandatory) * Prior experience of data analysis and profiling work * Intermediate to advanced knowledge and skills in SQL * Experience of working with data profiling and metadata tools (eg. IBM InfoSphere, Ab Initio, Trillium, Oracle EDQ) * Knowledge of Logical data modelling concepts, and ideally some practical experience * Experience of working with any of the major transaction processing systems (e.g., IMEX, Murex, ACBS) or data warehouses (Teradata) used in SCB Intrinsic traits * Attention to detail * Curiosity * High degree of responsibility * Self-motivated, requiring minimal supervision * Structure and discipline * Good written communication skills * Able to challenge/ question Most roles will be 'individual contributors'. Senior data analyst may be required to lead 2 - 3 direct reports (if required to).
How To Apply
You can search and view current opportunities across our organisation and apply immediately by visiting www.standardchartered.com and selecting Careers. To help speed up your application, please note the following:
- You will need to log in (or register if you are visiting our careers site for the first time) before you can apply for a specific role
- Some roles may require you to undertake an online talent assessment in addition to completing the application form (to facilitate this process it is preferable that you provide us with an email address as part of your contact information)
- We will ask you about your education, career history and skills and experience, it may be helpful to have this information at hand when completing your application
It usually takes 15 - 20 minutes to complete the application form; you can save your application at any time and return to complete it at your convenience.
The closing date for applications is 06/10/2016. Please note all closing dates are given in Hong Kong time (GMT + 8 hours). We aim to respond to successful applicants within four weeks and will keep a record or your application in our database so that we can contact you when suitable vacancies arise in future.
Diversity and Inclusion
Standard Chartered is committed to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a work environment which embraces diversity will enable us to get the best out of the broadest spectrum of people to sustain strong business performance and competitive advantage. By building an inclusive culture, each employee can develop a sense of belonging, and have the opportunity to maximise their personal potential.