SVP/VP, Principal Engineer (API Platform), Consumer Banking Tech, Technology and Operations
- Permanent, Full time
- DBS Bank Limited
- 28 Jun 17
See job description for details
Group Technology and Operations (T&O) enables and empowers the bank with an efficient, nimble and resilient infrastructure through a strategic focus on productivity, quality & control, technology, people capability and innovation. In Group T&O, we manage the majority of the Bank's operational processes and inspire to delight our business partners through our multiple banking delivery channels.
The Principal Engineer is the technical leader of the API Platform and defines its roadmap and technical stack. The primary function of the Principal Engineer is to scale the platform effectively to support projects while maximizing performance and minimizing costs.
He/she is expected to provide guidance to the development team during the systems development life cycle. The development team therefore needs to adhere to the API design standards and guidelines defined by the Principal Engineer to implement the components required.
The Principal Engineer ensures the API platform follows excellent architectural and engineering principles and remains fit for purpose. Hence, the role requires proven experience in planning, specifying, developing and deploying a high performance, robust and resilient API platform.
Subject Matter Expertise
- Understands requirements and translates them into system/technical specifications detailing the software and hardware components (including end-to-end infrastructure, system capacity planning, monitoring tools), security and business service components, and how the components interact.
- Leads the development of common components and frameworks for security, logging, monitoring, instrumentation, experimentation, etc.
- Creates end-to-end multi component designs for major projects, with focus on HA, high performance, scalability, resilience and operational sustainability.
- Gets involved in the evaluation, installation, configuration and commissioning of new technology relating to the API platform so as to drive experimentation to assess new solution/application paths.
- Communicates system requirements to technical and non-technical people from management, architects, delivery teams and external partner communities.
Design and Standards Governance
- Takes responsibility for defining and providing API Governance Standards, Policies and Frameworks to API design teams.
- Defines the API platform roadmap and technology stack taking into account the strategic business direction, latest developments in technology, capacity projections, and competitor trends.
Methodology and Quality Assurance
- Reviews formalized solution methodologies and DevOps practices.
- Contributes to a repository for solution/application artifacts
- Interfaces and coordinates tasks with technical resources both within and outside the team.
- Collaborates with Project Managers and technical staff to provide estimates, develop overall implementation solution/application plan, and serve as a lead as required, to implement the installation, customization, and integration requirements.
- Participates in various aspects of project life cycle, from initial kickoff through requirements analysis, design and implementation phases for projects involving API development.
- Provides quality assurance for services within the solution/application area.
Work Force Management, Supervision and Mentoring
- Manages a small team of engineers in planning, specifying, developing, and deploying various API Platform components and frameworks.
- Works with Delivery Managers to define overall recruiting needs and expertise for the API Platform.
- Works with Delivery Managers to establish professional development needs for practitioners on the API Platform.
- Mentors and guides more junior technical resources.
- Degree from a recognized university in the field of IT or Software Engineering, a Masters degree is highly desirable
- Minimum 10+ years of relevant experience in a principal engineer role, with relevant experience in banking, payments, or ecommerce industry
- Strong hands-on experience with building microservices, REST/SOAP based web services, experience with ESBs, SOA Security; experience in building an API Platform to support a partner/developer ecosystem within your current organization will be a huge plus.
- Good experience in API and web engineering, including demonstrated experience in Java/J2EE, APIs, Web Services, MariaDB, NoSQL databases and other modern web applications
- Experience building highly scalable, robust and resilient web based systems which scale to millions of users and more than 2000 TPS and demonstrate proven skills in capacity & performance management at scale. Experience working with CAP Theorem and trade-offs available
- Deep experience with on premise Cloud PaaS or other external cloud providers like AWS or Azure
- Understanding of Enterprise Integration and Messaging Patterns, SOA Governance practices
- Expertise in full DevOps tooling such as Git, BitBucket, Jenkins, JUnit, etc. and one or more programming languages such as Java, Ruby, Python, Scala, AngularJS, Swift and Node JS
- Strong stakeholder management skills including engaging senior management on strategic plans, leading project steering committees and status updates etc.
- Experienced in managing a mixed team of project managers, analysts as well developers as well as vendor management
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple concurrent initiatives
- Proactive and able to work under pressure; must demonstrate strong problem-solving skills and positive attitude
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package and the professional advantages of a dynamic environment that supports your development and recognises your achievements.