- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank Singapore
- 12 Aug 17
- Location: Singapore
- Salary: Negotiable
- Job Type: Full time
Please view Job Description for details.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Proactive management of legal and regulatory risks and issues for the Retail Banking business in Singapore.
- Provide legal advice, drafting and transactional support to the business in Singapore with a focus on Retail Banking products. Specific coverage of segments and products may be reviewed from time to time.
- Use technical knowledge of retail products/ segments to provide sound, technical product, legal and transactional advice to the business and to anticipate the impact of legal and regulatory developments on the business and communicate such impact to the business. Experience in Digital or Technology legal a plus.
- Act as a central point of reference in Singapore for Retail Banking legal issues for country, Group, business and functional stakeholders.
- Assist in the development of standard bank documentation and its periodic review, and propose changes ensuring the documents remain appropriate in light of legal, regulatory and market developments.
- Provide innovative, commercially-minded legal support for the development of new products and assist in ensuring product governance.
- Working with Group Legal, Group Compliance and Singapore Compliance functions to ensure that robust local product/ provider diligence processes, product documentation and pre and post sales governance of Retail Banking products and services, in accordance with group standards, are properly embedded in Singapore.
- As part of the products approval process, ensure material legal risks are identified and appropriately mitigated. Review and approve the Singapore country addenda of applicable Product Program Guidelines for local and cross-border regulatory risks.
- Support the standardization of key processes and documentation for Retail Banking products.
- Proactive management support of legal and regulatory risks in selling of Retail Banking products in Singapore.
Regulatory and Government Investigations:
- Manage government investigations arising in Singapore, including coordination with and the provision of appropriate and cost-effective instruction to external counsel and the timely and appropriate escalation and reporting of material developments to all relevant business and functional stakeholders.
- Interface with our Compliance colleagues on regulatory issues.
- Assist the Head of Legal, Singapore to support the on-going business, business growth and address legal risks of the Bank's business in Singapore.
- Assist in the review and development of new policies and procedures for the terms on which business is conducted, and processes for managing legal risk arising in the course of business.
- Effectively manage the process of engaging external counsel, including providing effective instructions to external counsel and negotiating appropriate fee structures for the transaction in question.
- Drive the development and maintenance of good relationships with internal and external business stakeholders at appropriate levels ensuring an open and cooperative environment.
- Provide legal advice, briefings, recommendations and reports on material legal risks and issues to business, country and functional stakeholders.
- Suggest, coordinate and lead training activities for other lawyers in the Bank.
Qualifications and Skills
- Qualified lawyer with at least 7 years experience, preferably Singapore qualified.
- Experience in and understanding of retail products and/ or technology.
- Experience in disputes or government investigations.
- Good judgment enabling the provision of sound advice in difficult areas of law, regulation and practice and the proactive management of legal risk.
- Strong analytical and innovative legal skills.
- Must possess strong leadership qualities, excellent interpersonal skills and multi-cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Ability to work with country and Group business, legal and compliance teams.
- Sound judgment on business practices and reputational risk.
- Personal authority and integrity with proven ability to establish relationships and exert influence at the country level.
- Independence, robustness, ethics and resilience.
- An inquisitive approach to practices, procedures and specific transactions
How To Apply
You can search and view current opportunities across our organisation and apply immediately by visiting www.standardchartered.com and selecting Careers. To help speed up your application, please note the following:
- You will need to log in (or register if you are visiting our careers site for the first time) before you can apply for a specific role
- Some roles may require you to undertake an online talent assessment in addition to completing the application form (to facilitate this process it is preferable that you provide us with an email address as part of your contact information)
- We will ask you about your education, career history and skills and experience, it may be helpful to have this information at hand when completing your application
It usually takes 15 - 20 minutes to complete the application form; you can save your application at any time and return to complete it at your convenience.
Diversity and Inclusion
Standard Chartered is committed to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a work environment which embraces diversity will enable us to get the best out of the broadest spectrum of people to sustain strong business performance and competitive advantage. By building an inclusive culture, each employee can develop a sense of belonging, and have the opportunity to maximise their personal potential.