Custody & Clearing Operations Process Governance Senior Manager
- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank
- 31 Aug 16
Please view Job Description for details.
Custody & Clearing and Corporate Agency & Trust Operations is a team of approx 900 staff across 34 locations. Together with Fund Services, it is the core service provider to the clients of Transaction Banking, Securities Services and Corporate Agency & Trust (TB SSCAT).
Standard Chartered Bank (SCB) has a defined Operational Risk Framework (ORF) that continues to be refined & deployed. Custody & Clearing Operations have responsibility for ensuring that we operate in accordance with the ORF, SCB policies and external regulatory requirements, while delivering services to our Clients per agreed SLAs. Our aim is to embed policy compliance in our operating 'dna', by effective process design and monitoring. A strong Control culture & operating practices that continue to drive the delivery of consistently high quality, regulatory-compliant services to our clients and stakeholders.
This role will be responsible for ensuring that Custody & Clearing (CC) Operations meet our governance obligations. Close partnership with Risk & Control teams to stay current with the regulatory & control environment. Clear & accurate CC Operations policies & procedures, effective & efficient processes in both design and execution, active process control monitoring, accurate & timely risk-based reporting, ongoing education of CC Operations staff across all processing locations.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- detailed understanding of the products / services we provide our clients, the underlying detailed processes & data flows, team structures, technology architecture, key control points
- active 'near-real-time' process control monitoring
- accurate & timely risk based reporting
- overview of operational KRIs & drive resolution with Countries - nostros, depots, fails, suspense accounts, receivables, etc
- retrospective process reviews, based on specific incidents or self-initiated, to identify actions required to improve the effectiveness & efficiency of process and delivery to end clients
- close understanding of the regulatory & control environment in which SCB operates, and how that is interpreted into specific policies and procedures
- in partnership with Control & Compliance teams, ensure current SCB policy requirements are clearly documented, understood & embedded within our Operations processes & working practices. Consultation on Process Universe, ORF, failure points and controls, residual risk rating.
- working with the TB & ITO Client teams, ensure that governance structures are aligned to client service delivery.
- ensure strong governance controls are in place across all our teams, including as part of the transition of any work from countries to our offshore hubs
- Write up / review all risk issues and corrective actions plans prior to their finalisation, including working with the Operations teams to drive effective resolution within committed timelines - Phoenix Risk items, operational incidents / losses, KCSA / CST exceptions, peer review findings, Group Audit findings.
- Represent Custody & Clearing Operations in relevant Control forums.
- Close partnership with Group Operations Functional Leads on the ongoing development of Global Processes (eg. Standardized process maps, DOIs, key risk points), Policies & Procedures & the compliance therewith, including any Country deviations. Review & approve any dispensation requests prior to GOH approval.
- ongoing education of CC Operations staff across all processing locations - service & control culture
- definition & implementation of the management oversight model, including roles & responsibilities and MIS/reporting requirements for BAU management
- definition of detailed project plans to further develop CC Operations governance
- work with teams including our Change Management function to drive high quality, on-time, on-budget execution of these plans
- key senior member of the Custody & Clearing Operations leadership team
- build strong working relationships with all stakeholders, including a collaborative environment in which this function acts as a key enabler to help others achieve their objectives
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Finance or other relevant field
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience, ideally with large global banks
- Banking Operations experience of managing processes, client delivery & control compliance
- Securities / Custody experience
- Regulatory and control experience, with focus on operational process control & governance
- Lean / SixSigma certification or equivalent is an advantage
- Ability to understand a data flow / process lifecycle and identify areas of potential failure.
- Ability to develop & implement plans to address potential process failure points.
- Ability to design & implement effective & efficient processes & technology functionality requirements to meet client service & control objectives.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Influencing skills.
- Ability to work across multiple teams, corporate grades, cultures, experience levels - & create a collaborative environment in which we work together to achieve our objectives.
How To Apply
You can search and view current opportunities across our organisation and apply immediately by visiting www.standardchartered.com and selecting Careers. To help speed up your application, please note the following:
- You will need to log in (or register if you are visiting our careers site for the first time) before you can apply for a specific role
- Some roles may require you to undertake an online talent assessment in addition to completing the application form (to facilitate this process it is preferable that you provide us with an email address as part of your contact information)
- We will ask you about your education, career history and skills and experience, it may be helpful to have this information at hand when completing your application
It usually takes 15 - 20 minutes to complete the application form; you can save your application at any time and return to complete it at your convenience.
Diversity and Inclusion
Standard Chartered is committed to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a work environment which embraces diversity will enable us to get the best out of the broadest spectrum of people to sustain strong business performance and competitive advantage. By building an inclusive culture, each employee can develop a sense of belonging, and have the opportunity to maximise their personal potential.