Head of Unit
- Contract, Full time
- European Investment Bank
- 22 Sep 16
The EIB, the European Union's bank is seeking to for its Corporate Services Directorate (CS) - Information Technology (IT) – Business Services Department (BSD) - Finance and Lending Applications Division (FLA) - Bespoke Banking Applications Unit (BBA) at its headquarters in Luxembourg, a: Head of Unit .
This is a full time position
The term of this contract will be 4 years
The EIB offers fixed-term contracts of up to a maximum of 6 years, according to business needs, with a possibility to convert to a permanent contract subject to organisational requirements and individual performance.
Within the Information Technology Department, the primary role of the Finance and Lending Applications Division (FLA) is to support Finance and Lending processes and data.
The Best Banking Applications Unit will manage a portfolio of bespoke applications supporting various EIB-specific banking business lines and its scope will progressively grow as new requirements arise in the context of EFSI, mandates, special activities, or evolutions of the back-office practices. The Unit will also be in charge of migrating fast-track prototypes to permanent solutions in line with the IT production standards.
The Head of Unit will manage a team of IT application officers and consultants, a portfolio of EIB-specific applications, and parallel development projects, in order to meet the functional needs of middle- and back-office business lines.
S/he will steer the whole software lifecycle process, including the project roadmap, the requirement analysis, design, implementation and maintenance.
The Head of Unit will report to the Head of the Finance and Lending Applications Division and work in close cooperation with all the Division’s Unit Heads as well as with other IT Divisions and the user community.
The Head of Unit will be responsible for:
- Defining the Unit’s work plan and monitoring its implementation
- Ensuring the application of the necessary processes, procedures, IT standards, methodologies and working tools and ensuring their proper application and maintenance in the Unit
- Defining and managing investment budgets for IT application projects in the assigned functional area(s)
- Managing the overall maintenance and support activities for IT applications in own domain in order to ensure the reliability of existing applications and best quality services to customers
- Providing guidance to the Unit’s staff and supervising overall operation of IT processes in own domain including scheduling, assignment and review of project work, intervening when necessary
- Managing the day-to-day functioning of the Unit and resolving specific issues
- Managing directly or coordinating software development projects, including dependencies between different projects, in the assigned functional area(s)
- Providing - or ensuring the availability of - technical expertise and recommendations on Information Solutions in own area
- Ensuring that staff within the Unit has the right competencies, objectives and motivation in order to realise the Unit’s strategy, policies and objectives
- Full University degree in computer science or related subjects
- A degree or certification in finance or business administration would be an advantage
- At least 5 years’ experience in the IT function, particularly in the application development domain
- 5 years’ experience in the definition of solution architectures and the management of applications and projects in the area of middle- and back-office financial services
- At least 5 years’ experience in leading and coordinating development teams and proven track record of success
Key technical/professional knowledge and skills
- Extensive knowledge of project management techniques, and proven track record of successful project management
- Very good knowledge of treasury instruments and other financial products
- Very good knowledge of liquidity, settlement and cash management activities
- Extensive knowledge of the Java/JEE architecture and its implementation, preferably in a financial administration domain
- Management of budgets and IT services contracts
- Knowledge of market trends and developments in the IT sector
- Fluent in English. Knowledge of French would be advantage (*)
- Change Orientation: Ability to drive change and innovation to realise the Bank’s mission and strategy
- Providing Direction: Aptitude to provide direction by translating organisational objectives and strategic direction into team and individual actions
- Delegation: Capacity to delegate responsibility and provide others with the means and authority to act within their own area of responsibility
- Coaching and Development: Ability to guide and develop others to make the most of their skills and potential
- Commitment: Aligns behaviour with the interests of the EIB in a committed way and supports diversity policies
- Teamwork and Communication: Takes a co-operative approach within the team, sharing knowledge and information. Seeks to promote harmony within the team and contribute to team processes
- Reliability: Demonstrates a focus on achieving results and objectives. Meets commitments and takes responsibility for personal performance
- Integrity: Maintains high standards of honesty and trustworthiness. Considers ethical implications of issues and decisions
(*) There may be certain flexibility on this requirement, but limited to particularly suitable candidates who may not yet be proficient in French. If selected, such candidates will be hired on the condition that they build up rapidly knowledge of French and accept that their future career in the EIB may be subject to the attainment of sufficient proficiency in both of the Bank's working languages
Deadline for applications: 30th September 2016
We believe that Diversity is good for our people and our business. We promote and value diversity and inclusion among our staff and candidates; irrespective of their gender, age, nationality, race, culture, education and experience, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or disability