BlackRock - Junior Product Strategist
- Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Permanent, Full time
- 30 Sep 16
BlackRock - Junior Product Strategist
Business Unit Overview:
The Fixed Income team offers an array of fixed income products designed to meet specific client risk and return profiles. Incorporating the expertise of BlackRock's sector specialists, each client portfolio is tailored to reflect specific investment guidelines and objectives with respect to interest rate exposure, sector allocation and credit quality. Within Fixed Income, there are two core investment processes - Model-Based, in which we apply quantitative insight to active management, and Fundamental. The Fundamental business conducts fundamental research on economies, interest rates and a wide range of bond sectors and applies it to the construction of diversified portfolios that deliver added value for clients across Asia, Emerging Markets and Global portfolio groups.
The Product Strategy team is responsible for the development of Fixed Income products for Institutional and Retail clients, and representing these products to internal and external clients including investment consultants, existing clients and prospects. The universe of products includes index, model based active and fundamental active. The team is centrally involved in the firm's thought leadership agenda. Critical to the success of the Product Strategy team is the maintenance of strong relationships with the Institutional Client Business (ICB) and Retail Sales groups, which is responsible for managing and developing BlackRock's client relationships, and the Global Consultant Relations team, which is responsible for maintaining BlackRock's relationship with investment consulting firms.
Role Aim / Purpose:
BlackRock's Australian Fixed Income business is looking for a junior product strategist to support general promotion of the Australian fixed income product range as well as proving ad-hoc support for promotion of Asian and Global Fixed Income products.
The primary responsibility of the role will be to support the fund managers, product strategists, institutional and retail sales teams in promoting a variety of GFI's Australian products locally and globally. The individual will work in partnership with sales, global marketing and other key stakeholders to promote and support these products.
- Engage clients and distribution partners across regions: Develop a network of client relationships and contribute to/attend client and prospect meetings, including pitching for new business, reviewing key positions, portfolio construction and performance
- Satisfy ad hoc requests for information and analysis
- Create, develop and maintain marketing materials for the Australian FI products and capabilities including thought pieces to assist in investor relations, creation/awareness efforts and external engagement. Help define and position BlackRock's competitive advantage in the wider Fixed Income landscape; must be able understand industry dynamics and drivers of growth
- Working with local portfolio managers to provide monthly commentary and fund factsheets, and quarterly fund reports
- Compiling regular reports for segregated client mandates
- Evaluate performance attribution and communicate portfolio performance
- Work with portfolio managers and other strategists to understand and be able to communicate current market conditions and the opportunities arising for clients
- Monitor effectiveness: Develop and maintain metrics for tracking production, product pipeline, meeting initiation, quality of interactions and follow-up with existing client relationships.
- Due diligence: Support and contribute to the management the firm's response to client and prospect due diligence, including operational due diligence meetings and RFP's
- Monitor competitive universe: Perform / highlight product and competitor analysis for current and envisaged products
- Assist with product development on new and existing products
- Provide strategic investment insight to clients and prospects across the Fundamental business
Experience, Skills & Knowledge Required:
- Tertiary qualified in a Finance, Commerce or Economics discipline (possibly CFA qualified or currently undertaking post graduate studies preferred)
- Minimum of 3 - 8 years' experience in the financial markets industry, preferably within a product specialist / portfolio management role; Institutional experience desirable
- A solid understanding of Australian Fixed Income markets
- Strong knowledge of Australian and global economics and markets and an interest in current affairs and events
- Highly developed written and verbal communication and presentation skills with a demonstrated ability to present ideas effectively to clients and promote ideas internally.
- Ability to quickly develop and maintain an intimate understanding of BlackRock investment capabilities and solutions across multiple asset classes and product lines globally
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills, ideally gained from within a mathematics, econometrics or statistics environment
- A demonstrated understanding of performance attribution, market factors and driver of returns across mutual funds and asset classes
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize a complex workload to meet deadlines
- A passion for investments and the financial markets and a desire to be part of a successful Investments team culture
- Ability to work as part of a team but also work independently and take ownership of assigned projects and tasks.
- Advanced Excel, PowerPoint and data management / modelling skills
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.